Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Sam Gendler <sg...@pdi.com> on 2003/10/29 01:45:46 UTC

[users@httpd] ap_content_length_filter timeout problem

I've been able to find reasonably numerous instances of an (apparent)
bug that manifests itself with the following error message:

[Tue Oct 28 16:35:44 2003] [error] [client 10.11.3.53] (70007)The
timeout specified has expired: ap_content_length_filter:
apr_bucket_read() failed, referer: ...

It appears to occur when the compute time of a simple cgi execution is
'too' high.  However, the cgi script in question doesn't exactly take a
long time to process.  The nistances that hang when run through the
webserver take approx 2.5 clock seconds to execute when run from the
command line.  If the script takes less than 2 seconds to run,
everything appears to work just fine (I can't be sure about the maximum
allowable time limit).

I am not the only one to report this problem, but I've never seen a
single response to any queries about it that provided advice for curing
it.  I don't have the ability to rebuild the webserver (at least, not
without a lot of bureaucratic hassles) so I am hoping there is some way
to adjust the malignant timeout to give me a bit more time before it
barfs on my scripts.

Server version: Apache/2.0.44
Linux <xxx> 2.4.18-19.7.xsmp #1 SMP Thu Dec 12 07:56:58 EST 2002 i686
unknown
Script is written in Perl and uses the CGI module.  Nothing fancy beyond
that, not even mod_perl.

Anybody got a cure?

--sam