Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by "Liu, Scott" <SL...@netledger.com> on 2003/01/14 10:10:45 UTC

catacomb implementation,WebDAV and database

I am new in WebDAV and I have lots of questions. We have plan to support
WebDAV on our Filecabinent feature in our product.
I was reading in WebDAV and noticed that catacomb's archetecture is similar
to what we are thinking. Our current thinking is

Microsoft Web Folder <---> java servlet (WebDAV servlet) <--> oracle
database.

My question is that what was the reason that catacomb uses a temporary
staging area for files before they are saved into or pulled from
MySQL?

Thanks in advance,

Scott Liu
NetLedger, Inc.

Re: [Catacomb] catacomb implementation,WebDAV and database

Posted by Kai Pan <pa...@cse.ucsc.edu>.
Hi,
The reason we use a temporary staging area for files before they are saved
into or pulled from MySQL is that the size of the file could be very
large. It is not convenient for MySQL to save the content of the file
directly. And memory consuming is another issue. So, we make use of the
LOAD_FILE() function in MySQL to save a file into MySQL.

Kai Pan