Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/06 14:54:49 UTC

OpenEJB Eclipse Plugin update

Hi All,

Just wanted to give you an update on the Eclipse plugin.

OPENEJB-876) I've made a couple of changes around the server runtime.

Specifically, I've changed how deployment works - previously a deploy
simply built a jar file based on the output paths of a project and
copied it to the apps folder of the standalone server. This worked ok,
but caused problems with file locking on un-deploying and republishing.
Now we hold a cache of which projects have been deployed, and then once
the server has started, we use the WTP export feature to build the jar,
and then use the Deployer bean openejb-core to do the actual deployment.

I also corrected a bug where multiple server monitor threads were being
created when restarting the server. The server icon is now the pepper
instead of just a red square.

I've published my latest update site on my people page:
http://people.apache.org/~jgallimore/update-site

The feedback on these changes (via Jira) has been very positive. Many
thanks to Kaloyan Raev for taking the time to test and re-test the
plugin, and for logging the issues.

In terms of extending the plugin further, I was going to look at doing
the following:

* see if I can replace any usages of finder and create methods on Entity
beans with EJB 3 style EntityManager code

* add support for using websphere/weblogic descriptors instead of
openejb-jar.xml for generating annotations

* Karan suggested a drag-n-drop dependency injection idea, which I was
going to look at too.

Does anybody have any other thoughts or suggestions?

I was also thinking it might perhaps be a good idea to either close
OPENEJB-674 and open new issues for these tasks or to add subtasks to
OPENEJB-674 - anyone got any thoughts on this?

Cheers

Jon

Re: OpenEJB Eclipse Plugin update

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Karan Malhi wrote:
>> I think OPENEJB-516 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENEJB-516)
>> can be closed, as the plugin will now add the javaee-api and openejb-client
>> JARs to the classpath of projects associated with its runtime - does anyone
>> have any thoughts on this?
>>
>> I also think OPENEJB-525 (
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENEJB-525) can be closed as the
>> plugin is now built with Maven.
>>

> Yes, these issues should be closed.

Done. I also closed OPENEJB-687 as its really a duplicate of OPENEJB-674.
> Also, I think David just implemented the DependsOn functionality. What do
> you think about generating a dependency graph in eclipse? i.e the plugin
> could scrape through the EJB's / descriptors and generate this graph (which
> could possibly also be modified).

I think this is cool idea - its certainly possible to detect which
classes have the @Singleton annotation and analyze their usages. As Dain
has pointed out, it would definitely be tricky if the singleton is
referred to in a method that is called by the Pre/PostConstruct method.
We could search for all usages of singletons and traverse the call
hierarchy and see if we end up at a Pre/Post construct method, although
I could imagine this being a pretty intensive operation. Do you have any
thoughts on how this would be invoked? I guess it wouldn't be via the
wizard we have for annotation generation from ejb-jar.xml we have at the
moment. I was thinking perhaps adding a builder which spots references
being added, and showing a warning with a code completion would be
pretty cool - don't know how much work would be involved though.

Posted by "Daniel S. Haischt" <da...@googlemail.com>.
yes an all-in-one package

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Daniel S. Haischt" <da...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
I've just committed this and updated the update site. There's a tick box
to include the dependency when creating / editing the runtime.

Jon

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks David. I'll get some info up on the Wiki about this. I could
probably make an inspection for IntelliJ that does this as well, if
anyone would find that helpful.

Jon

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

I've made a couple of changes to the plugin:

- Allowed the OpenEJB runtime to be used on EJB 1.1 ane EJB 2.0 projects
(OPENEJB-868)
- Added configuration for all the OpenEJB ports the standalone server
uses (and made the server actually use the ports specified). Also the
launch configuration in Eclipse for the standalone server didn't include
the Java agent, I've fixed this as well. (OPENEJB-887)

As usual, I've updated the update site on my page on people.apache.org.

Enjoy!

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

I've just added support for deploying EAR files to a standalone server
to the Eclipse plugin (OPENEJB-882). I've also updated the update site
that is on my Apache page: http://people.apache.org/~jgallimore/update-site

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
Another idea is that every time they add do @DependsOn, we could check
for circular references and tell the user they've just created a
circular reference.  Being able to determine where circular references
start is impossible unless you were there when it was created, but we
are there and can say with precision "that's the one that did it."

-David

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.

--
Karan Singh Malhi

Re: OpenEJB Eclipse Plugin update

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks guys. I've added the following issues:

OPENEJB-882 - Support deployment of EAR projects
OPENEJB-883 - Support generation of EJB 3 Entity Manager code
OPENEJB-884 - Drag - and - drop dependency injection
OPENEJB-885 - support weblogic/websphere deployment descriptors for
generating annotations
OPENEJB-886 - Graphical view for editing openejb-jar.xml
OPENEJB-887 - (BUG) EJB port selection makes no difference

I'll close the original issue (OPENEJB-674).

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Karan Malhi wrote:
> Jonathan,
>
> This is really impressive.

Thanks :)
>> I was also thinking it might perhaps be a good idea to either close
>> OPENEJB-674 and open new issues for these tasks or to add subtasks to
>> OPENEJB-674 - anyone got any thoughts on this?
>>

> I agree

Do you have any preference on which way to go? Personally I feel more

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.
Jonathan,

This is really impressive.