Posted to dev@community.apache.org by "Wyngaard, Jane R (398M-Affiliate)" <Ja...@jpl.nasa.gov> on 2015/10/17 00:03:40 UTC

Apache Con in Africa?

Hi All,

I attended Apache Con Europe (big data and core) two weeks ago and a couple of us were floating the idea of getting an ApacheCon Africa to happen.  We were talking South Africa specifically given our origins but in general the continent’s awake to tech and open source and S. Africa’s just one part.

The essence of our discussions distilled down to  - make a monetary business case for it and it could happen - so I just wanted to stick this out there so the idea could maybe start to evolve…

Reasons for it to happen:
 - There are a bunch of apache committers in S. Africa but honestly it’s super expensive for us to get to any ApacheCon elsewhere (flip side - it’s cheap to come to us)
 - It’s a stunning venue!
 - S. Africa’s the gateway to Africa in so much as importing tech is concerned (Nigeria and others aren’t waiting for the world but are just inventing their own<http://fossfa.net/> (Free software and open source foundation for Africa) :)
 - There are big tech projects happening and more coming: i.e things to get involved in / things to expose to ASF
Eg: The Square Kilometer Array telescope <http://www.ska.ac.za/meerkat/>  or HPC community<http://www.chpcconf.co.za/> , or Space science<http://www.sansa.org.za/earthobservation/services> and engineering community or energy community or business

 - And just for kicks – apparently we know how to use water powered rockets best (yesterday’s slashdot<http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/10/08/1639243/university-of-cape-town-team-breaks-world-water-rocketry-record>)

Honestly, I’m sure others know more and better reasons than me too. Obviously we're biased – it would benefit the S. Africa software community more than anything else  - but also think it’d be a win for ASF community!

Jane

Other links:
OpenSource software and small businesses conference 2016<http://www.waset.org/conference/2016/01/johannesburg/ICOSSSB>
Banking<http://www.bdlive.co.za/business/financial/2015/07/16/nedbank-rolls-out-sas-first-big-data-service>
openOffice supporting African Languages<http://www.balancingact-africa.com/news/en/issue-no-282/computing/open-office-now-avai/en>

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jane Wyngaard, Ph.D
Postdoctoral scholar
Instrument software and science data systems Section (398)

NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
4800 Oak Grove Drive MS: 158-256D
Pasadena, CA 91109

Phone:  818/354-6237
Email: Jane.R.Wyngaard@jpl.nasa.gov<ma...@jpl.nasa.gov>

On 09/10/2015 14:00, "dev-help@community.apache.org<ma...@community.apache.org>" <de...@community.apache.org>> wrote:

dev@community.apache.org<ma...@community.apache.org> mailing list.

at dev-owner@community.apache.org<ma...@community.apache.org>.

Acknowledgment: I have added the address

   Jane.R.Wyngaard@jpl.nasa.gov<ma...@jpl.nasa.gov>

to the dev mailing list.

Welcome to dev@community.apache.org<ma...@community.apache.org>!

Please save this message so that you know the address you are
subscribed under, in case you later want to unsubscribe or change your
subscription address.

--- Administrative commands for the dev list ---

   <de...@community.apache.org>>

   <de...@community.apache.org>>

   <de...@community.apache.org>>
   <de...@community.apache.org>>

   <de...@community.apache.org>>
   <de...@community.apache.org>>

   <de...@community.apache.org>>

   <de...@community.apache.org>>

so you'll actually get 100-499.

send a short message to:
   <de...@community.apache.org>>

The messages should contain one line or word of text to avoid being
treated as sp@m, but I will ignore their content.
Only the ADDRESS you send to is important.

for example "john@host.domain<ma...@host.domain>", just add a hyphen and your
<de...@community.apache.org>>

<de...@community.apache.org>>

dev-owner@community.apache.org<ma...@community.apache.org>. Please be patient, my owner is a
lot slower than I am ;-)

From: "Wyngaard, Jane R (398M-Affiliate)" <Ja...@jpl.nasa.gov>>
To:  "dev-sc.1444424378.miggfiepajdadnneaiee-Jane.R.Wyngaard=jpl.nasa.gov@community.apache.org<ma...@community.apache.org>"
<de...@community.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: confirm subscribe to dev@community.apache.org<ma...@community.apache.org>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 21:00:30 +0000
x-originating-ip: [128.149.137.81]

Re: Apache Con in Africa?

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@apache.org>.
i'm currenty based in Dubai (UAE) and I'm definitive willing to help in
what I can. The Gulf is much more oriented towards Africa than Europe, and
I tend to agree that venues in places like Nigeria, Kenia, South Africa,
Egipt, Ethiopia... are probably more suitable than a venue in the
Mediterranean, where people has relatively easy access to ApacheCON EU.

If this proceeds I would be interested to help from my little spot in
GST/Persian Gulf.

Regards
Santiago

Re: Apache Con in Africa?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
If LF would be willing, I would really like for us to take this
further under consideration!

Re: Apache Con in Africa?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: Apache Con in Africa?

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Actually the discussions were around what are the safe countries
preferred for international gatherings and obviously football (or soccer
as Americans call it) was used as an example. Safety and health are the
biggest concerns.

I suspect Egypt could have been an option, I am not sure about today.
Personally I am not informed enough to have an opinion.

Cheers,
Hadrian

On 10/16/2015 09:57 PM, Wyngaard, Jane R (398M-Affiliate) wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> You can start a subscription for an alternate address,
>>> for example "john@host.domain<ma...@host.domain>", just add a
>>> hyphen and your
>>> address (with '=' instead of '@') after the command word:
>>>
>>> <dev-subscribe-john=host.domain@community.apache.org<mailto:dev-subscribe
>>> -john=host.domain@community.apache.org>>
>>>
>>> To stop subscription for this address, mail:

>>> ribe-john=host.domain@community.apache.org>>
>>>
>>> In both cases, I'll send a confirmation message to that address. When
>>> you receive it, simply reply to it to complete your subscription.
>>>
>>> If despite following these instructions, you do not get the
>>> desired results, please contact my owner at
>>> dev-owner@community.apache.org<ma...@community.apache.org>.
>>> Please be patient, my owner is a
>>> lot slower than I am ;-)
>>>
>>> --- Enclosed is a copy of the request I received.

>>> unity.apache.org<mailto:dev-sc.1444424378.miggfiepajdadnneaiee-Jane.R.Wyn

Re: Apache Con in Africa?

Posted by "Wyngaard, Jane R (398M-Affiliate)" <Ja...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey

Re: Apache Con in Africa?

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache Con in Africa?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 12:03 AM, Wyngaard, Jane R (398M-Affiliate)
<Ja...@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> ...I attended Apache Con Europe (big data and core) two weeks ago and a couple
> of us were floating the idea of getting an ApacheCon Africa to happen...

Rich Bowen might correct me if I'm wrong, AFAIK at the moment we have
completely delegated the organization of ApacheCon to the Linux
Foundation, so it would be their decision to organize another one.

That being said, Apache community members are welcome to organize
"local" events in their areas, which can be a good start towards
having a larger event at some point.

http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/events.html has some
branding-related information for such events, and feel free to ask on
this list about what type of other support you can get from the ASF.

-Bertrand