Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by David Deeks <pr...@gmail.com> on 2020/06/10 10:35:19 UTC

Text/background colours on spreadsheet

Hi all

I am editing a previously created spreadsheet that uses a variety of colours for background and text. I need to add more cells that use the same colours. If I select an existing cell, is there a way of identifying the previously used colours? At the moment I’m selecting all colours that look close, until I find the right one!

Thanks

David D

Re: Text/background colours on spreadsheet

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
You could copy the format from and existing cell.
Just select the cell you want to copy from.
Then select the brush from the toolbar.
Then select the target cell you want to copy to.

Posted by David Deeks <da...@sunderland.ac.uk>.
Brian, Dan

Thanks so much for these replies, really helpful.

Very glad I joined the support group!

All best

David

Posted by Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.
At 11:35 10/06/2020 +0100, David Deeks wrote:
>I am editing a previously created spreadsheet that uses a variety of
>colours for background and text. I need to add more cells that use
>the same colours. If I select an existing cell, is there a way of
>identifying the previously used colours? At the moment I'm selecting
>all colours that look close, until I find the right one!

You probably don't need to identify the colours, but merely to
reproduce them. Two ways to do this:

(As has already been suggested)
o Select a representative cell.
o Click the Format Paintbrush in the Standard toolbar.
o Either click in a target cell or drag across a target range.
Note that you can double-click the Format Paintbrush if you wish to
format multiple cells or ranges. Press Esc to cancel the facility.

o Copy a representative cell.
o Select a target cell or target range.
o Paste, but using Paste Special (or Ctrl+Shift+V) instead of ordinary paste.
o In the Paste Special dialogue, untick Paste All if necessary and
ensure that only Formats is selected.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker