Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> on 2015/09/14 22:30:56 UTC

Testing against Oracle

Thanks to Vladimir’s work on calcite-test-dataset [1], we are able to test Calcite against several databases (mysql, postgres, hsqldb, h2, mongo, splunk). I use those test databases several times a day to run the integration test suite on various patches before committing them.

But a big one is missing: Oracle.

Would anyone be interested in adding Oracle support? I suspect we would need to add Oracle express edition to Puppet/Vagrant.

Julian

[1] https://github.com/vlsi/calcite-test-dataset <https://github.com/vlsi/calcite-test-dataset>

Re: Testing against Oracle

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
> On Sep 14, 2015, at 1:50 PM, Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What if we include "Oracle" module to test-dataset that points to
> well-known host-port-login-password of a Oracle's developer's VM?

Good idea. I am experimenting with the "Pre-built Virtual Machine for Oracle Enterprise Data Quality 12.1.3”. I’ve logged https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-885 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-885> to track.

Julian

Re: Testing against Oracle

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.
> splunk

I think splunk is not there yet: [1]

Regarding Oracle DB, there are official VM images with preconfigured
DB: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/developer-vms-192663.html

It takes a while to download, however I am not sure OracleDB
installation can be automated.
Well, it would be great if I was wrong, however I am afraid there are
legal issues with such automatization, so any user have to manually
download & accept EULA.

What if we include "Oracle" module to test-dataset that points to
well-known host-port-login-password of a Oracle's developer's VM?

[1]: https://github.com/vlsi/calcite-test-dataset/blob/master/vm/default.pp#L84

Vladimir