Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jacob Jarvis <jj...@tatsumaki.net> on 2006/09/09 03:44:11 UTC

rsync as a method to backup a database?

For purposes of data backing up, is it adequate to just rsync the whole
repository parent folder daily, or do I need to use the 'hot' or 'cold'
methods for creating DB dumps then rsync'ing them?

Re: rsync as a method to backup a database?

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Jacob Jarvis wrote:
> For purposes of data backing up, is it adequate to just rsync the whole
> repository parent folder daily, or do I need to use the 'hot' or 'cold'
> methods for creating DB dumps then rsync'ing them?

No, the order of the files being backed up is important, so you just can't use
rsync unless you get the correct ordering.

However, somebody has already done all the work for you.

If you're on a filesystem that supports hardlinks and you're using FSFS, then
you can use svn-fast-backup, which uses rsync and a tree of hardlinks to older
backups, which makes for extremely fast backups:

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/server-side/svn-fast-backup

Regards,
Blair

--