Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Graham Lea <Gr...@forge.com.au> on 2000/07/25 04:23:32 UTC

XmlMapper error - reading env-entry as taglib ?

web.xml problem. (Win NT4, Tomcat, JDK 1.2 running javaw inside JBuilder35)

I've just added a bunch of stuff to my web.xml:
     A <session-config>,
     A <welcome-file-list>,
     An <error-page>
     Three <env-entry>s

While initialising, Tomcat now prints out this jargon (xml debugging is set
to 0 at this point):

Engine init
Context log: path="/CVS" Automatic context load docBase="Z:
\grahaml\cvs\projectName\webapps\CVS"
Context log: path="/CVS" Add context
Context log: path="/CVS" Adding context path="/CVS"  docBase="Z:
\grahaml\cvs\projectName\webapps\CVS"
Context log: path="/logs" Automatic context load docBase="Z:
\grahaml\cvs\projectName\webapps\logs"
Context log: path="/logs" Add context
XmlMapper: Can't find method addTaglib in Ctx(/projectName,Z:
\grahaml\cvs\projectName\webapps\projectName) CLASS class
org.apache.tomcat.core.Context
XmlMapper: Can't find method addTaglib in Ctx(/projectName,Z:
\grahaml\cvs\projectName\webapps\projectName) CLASS class
org.apache.tomcat.core.Context
XmlMapper: Can't find method addTaglib in Ctx(/projectName,Z:
\grahaml\cvs\projectName\webapps\projectName) CLASS class
org.apache.tomcat.core.Context
XmlMapper: Can't find method addTaglib in Ctx(/projectName,Z:
\grahaml\cvs\projectName\webapps\projectName) CLASS class
org.apache.tomcat.core.Context
XmlMapper: Can't find method addTaglib in Ctx(/projectName,Z:
\grahaml\cvs\projectName\webapps\projectName) CLASS class
org.apache.tomcat.core.Context
XmlMapper: Can't find method addTaglib in Ctx(/projectName,Z:
\grahaml\cvs\projectName\webapps\projectName) CLASS class
org.apache.tomcat.core.Context
XmlMapper: Can't find method addTaglib in Ctx(,webapps/projectName) CLASS
class org.apache.tomcat.core.Context
XmlMapper: Can't find method addTaglib in Ctx(,webapps/projectName) CLASS
class org.apache.tomcat.core.Context
XmlMapper: Can't find method addTaglib in Ctx(,webapps/projectName) CLASS
class org.apache.tomcat.core.Context
XmlMapper: Can't find method addTaglib in Ctx(,webapps/projectName) CLASS
class org.apache.tomcat.core.Context
XmlMapper: Can't find method addTaglib in Ctx(,webapps/projectName) CLASS
class org.apache.tomcat.core.Context
XmlMapper: Can't find method addTaglib in Ctx(,webapps/projectName) CLASS
class org.apache.tomcat.core.Context

There are six lines of each error above, two for each <env-entry>.
The <env-entry>s are quite clearly the cause of the error - i.e. if I
remove them it doesn't happen!
They look like this:

     <!-- PROPERTIES_HOME -->
     <env-entry>
          <description>
               The directory where properties files can be found.
               Used by the PropertiesLibrary to find properties on the fly.
          </description>
          <env-entry-name>PROPERTIES_HOME</env-entry-name>
          <env-entry-value>z:
\grahaml\cvs\projectName\properties</env-entry-value>
          <env-entry-type>java.lang.String</env-entry-type>
     </env-entry>

That explains nothing about why they cause errors relating to taglibs,
though. (I do have a taglib, but removing it makes no difference.)
XmlMapper uses a stack of reflection, so I've got no clue what it's doing.
 Anyone got any ideas what's happenning?

Graham Lea

Forge Research Pty Ltd
Email: GrahamLea@forge.com.au

Re: XmlMapper error - reading env-entry as taglib ?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Graham Lea wrote:

> web.xml problem. (Win NT4, Tomcat, JDK 1.2 running javaw inside JBuilder35)

The missing link is what version of Tomcat you are running.  My assumption is
that it is Tomcat 3.1, because there was a bug in that version (subsequently
fixed) that tried to use the "addTaglib()" method when you used an <env-entry>
element in your web.xml file.

Note that, even in Tomcat 3.2, the fact that you don't encounter this
particular error does not do you a whole lot of good.  Tomcat does not
implement the J2EE-compatible JNDI context that lets you grab the values of
environment entries that are specified in the web.xml file.  A better choice
for global configuration variables would be to use context initialization
parameters instead.

Craig McClanahan