Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Steve973 <st...@gmail.com> on 2023/01/16 20:28:27 UTC

Is there a major performance difference between java serialization and protobuf?

Hello.  I saw that we can use google protobuf for serialization of
messages.  Are there any metrics regarding the difference in performance
between the two?  I imagine that, especially for larger messages, protobuf
performs quite a bit better, but I am curious if that is quantifiable
somehow.  If the numbers justify it, I will look into changing up the
serialization to protobuf in my project at work.

Thanks,
Steve