Posted to users@flex.apache.org by mark goldin <ma...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/26 18:37:22 UTC

OT: how do you start designing a large project

This is is out of topic but can someone please share personal
experience/other resources about how do you start designing a new pretty
large project? What I mean is that every web based application would have
UI and a backend and they both non existent for the new project. Would you
start designing your UI based on business requirements and then proceed to
database already knowing what the UI needs  or would you start designing a
solid database foundation first?

Thanks

Re: OT: how do you start designing a large project

Posted by Hans Nuecke <hn...@vservu.de>.
This might be a bit off-topic, because useful for smaller projects also.
Reading "sketching" I thought it might be of help for some of you to
know about these two tools. Both help me "developing on paper" and
defining big portions of planned design and functionality before I start
my IDE.

balsamiq: http://support.balsamiq.com/customer/portal/articles/107999
this links to a tutorial, but you'll find the download link and more on
that page also
SimpleDiagrams: http://www.simplediagrams.com/support

As far as I know both make use of AS3/AIR; and probably Flex.
Regards
Hans

Posted by Tomislav Pokrajcic <to...@svemir.net>.

Posted by Miguel Ferreira <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Mark,
I will start  with simple flow diagrams and user cases.
If you more a visual person you can use some mock-ups to help you to orientate your project goal.
Don't try to do everything in one step. Set milestones for your project.

For the technical side:
UISERVER (Back end + DB)
Choose your technologies and frame works that will help achieve your goal.
For the UI side i prefer MVC. But, you should choose the one that fits you better or your team.

For a good project I like to use this keywords:SOLIDKISSDRY
When we respect this basis we create good base for your project to grow.
Congrats for the new project!
Miguel