Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by John Watson <jo...@disqus.com> on 2013/04/25 21:57:50 UTC

Adding nodes in 1.2 with vnodes requires huge disks

After finally upgrading to 1.2.3 from 1.1.9, enabling vnodes, and running
upgradesstables, I figured it would be safe to start adding nodes to the
cluster. Guess not?

It seems when new nodes join, they are streamed *all* sstables in the
cluster.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/bampemkvlfck2dt/Screen%20Shot%202013-04-25%20at%2012.35.24%20PM.png

The gray the line machine ran out disk space and for some reason cascaded
into errors in the cluster about 'no host id' when trying to store hints
for it (even though it hadn't joined yet).
The purple line machine, I just stopped the joining process because the
main cluster was dropping mutation messages at this point on a few nodes
(and it still had dozens of sstables to stream.)

I followed this:
http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.2/operations/add_replace_nodes

Is there something missing in that documentation?

Thanks,

John

Re: Adding nodes in 1.2 with vnodes requires huge disks

Posted by John Watson <jo...@disqus.com>.
Opened a ticket:

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.

Posted by John Watson <jo...@disqus.com>.
They were all restarted a couple times after adding 'num_tokens: 256' to
cassandra.yaml.

Yes and nodetool ring became 'unusable' due to all the new tokens.

Posted by Sam Overton <sa...@acunu.com>.

Posted by John Watson <jo...@disqus.com>.

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.

Posted by Bryan Talbot <bt...@aeriagames.com>.