Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by SA <sp...@linkcheck.co.uk> on 2016/12/06 17:43:26 UTC

Unexpected TVD_SPACE_RATIO and strange action of X-Originating-IP

One of my web sites sends me a minimal email to indicate its status.
There is no body, just a subject and the usual headers. It is sent
several times a day.

The sending domain is in the trusted_networks list so the SA report
includes ALL_TRUSTED - full X-Spam-Status is (and should be)...

No, score=-28.0 required=5.0 tests=ALL_TRUSTED,BAYES_00,
	DKIM_SIGNED,DKIM_VALID,DKIM_VALID_AU,PFSA_OURSERVER_VALID
         autolearn=ham version=3.3.2

BUT sometimes I get...

No, score=-25.5 required=5.0 tests=ALL_TRUSTED,BAYES_00,
	DKIM_SIGNED,DKIM_VALID,DKIM_VALID_AU,PFSA_OURSERVER_VALID,TVD_SPACE_RATIO,
	TVD_SPACE_RATIO_MINFP autolearn=ham version=3.3.2

PFSA_OURSERVER_VALID is my own addition and is set to -25 if it's from
the web site. DKIM is set by the mail receiver not the sender, which is
a very simple smtp service.

What puzzles me is why SA reports TVD_SPACE_RATIO and
TVD_SPACE_RATIO_MINFP when there is no body at all - just a single blank
line with not even a single space and no signature or MIME. And why it
does so only sometimes (about 1 in four or five times).

For reference the ENTIRE email (with obfuscations) for the TVD case, as
received by me is...

From: "FormTest" <(form)@(webserver)>
To: "(me)" <(me)@(recip)>
Subject: Form Check
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2016 14:57:35 -0000

There is another oddity in this scenario. I have set up a tracing
header, shown above as...

This is recent. Previously I had...

... but this resulted in losing ALL_TRUSTED (all other tags in
X-Spam-Status remained). Spamassassin seemed to think this was the
envelope-from or something of that kind and filled in...

If anyone could help with either of these I would be grateful.

--
Dave Stiles

Re: Unexpected TVD_SPACE_RATIO and strange action of X-Originating-IP

Posted by SA <sp...@linkcheck.co.uk>.
Thank you for the reply.

 > No, ALL_TRUSTED means that the email only passed through trusted
 > IP addresses or was authenticated into the trusted network.

Yes. Sorry, I phrased it badly.

My main point here was the TVD tags. Why sometimes and not others in
virtually identical emails with no bodies? There is sufficient leeway on
the scoring that it does not really matter but it's still incorrect as
far as I can tell.

 > In webmail the client IP address is often put in X-Originating-IP;
 > SpamAssassin treats this as the first relay just as if it were from an
 > smtp submission received header.

Hmm. I suspected as much. Thanks. :)

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.