Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Francois MAROT <fr...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/14 15:25:38 UTC

Upgrade "in-production" from AMQ 5.3 to 5.5

Hi AMQ users,

This is the 1st time I'm involved with AMQ and I must evaluate the risk of
upgrading the production server from 5.3 to 5.5. FYI, I need to upgrade in
order to use the priority of messages.

So does anybody has any advice on how to migrate the production server ? It
uses KahaDB as database.
Can I simply stop the 5.3 server, then restart with the 5.5 binaries (having
previously setup the config files to point to previous KahaDB files) and all
my messages and queues will still be there ?
Is there any caveat ?

I still have not tested it myself and, obvisously, I can still write a
little tool to read from the old AMQ and write back to the new one. I don't
mind a few minutes downtime (up to an hour). But if anyone has prior
experience, I take it ;)

Re: Upgrade "in-production" from AMQ 5.3 to 5.5

Posted by "Martin C." <ma...@gmx.at>.
Hi,

first: I'm sure you'll need to test it using your data-store (you
could attempt to create a crash-consistent store by simply copying
your KahaDB directory).

I have had some deployments that went from 5.3.2-fuse to 5.4.2 and now
5.5.0, without losing any messages in the queue. So basically, it
should work.

Best regards,
Martin