Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Wade Leftwich <wa...@leftwich.us> on 2006/11/12 03:31:53 UTC

Jetty for production?

Hi,

I just posted a question about configuring Tomcat's SecurityManager for
SOLR, but then got to wondering if I might not be asking the wrong question.

If the only servlet I intend to run on my production server is SOLR,
then why not use Jetty? Does anyone on the list have experience using
Jetty in production? We're a python-perl-and-php shop, and do not plan
to get any further into Java than we have to. (SOLR is good enough to
overcome our anti-Java bias.)

Any observations or advice appreciated.

Wade Leftwich
Ithaca, NY

Re: Jetty for production?

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: If the only servlet I intend to run on my production server is SOLR,
: then why not use Jetty? Does anyone on the list have experience using

Just to clarify: therees no particular reason why Jetty would be a better
choice just if your only need for a servlet container is Solr.  the Solr
example app has jetty in it just because at the time we set it up, Jetty
was the simplest/smallest servlet container we found that could be run
easily in a cross platform way (ie: "java -jar start.jar") that shouldn't
be interpreted as a recomendation that Solr runs better under Jetty --
just that Jetty made doing the demo easier.

I personally have a lot of experience with Resin -- but that's just
because It's what my work uses.  From what I've seen of Tomcat and
Jetty I like Tomcat a lot more then Jetty because the configuration just
seems to make a hell of a lot more sense, and I can find a lot more
documentation on it -- I have no idea which one Solr performs better in.

-Hoss

Re: Jetty for production?

Posted by WHIRLYCOTT <ph...@whirlycott.com>.
On Nov 11, 2006, at 9:31 PM, Wade Leftwich wrote:

> If the only servlet I intend to run on my production server is SOLR,
> then why not use Jetty? Does anyone on the list have experience using
> Jetty in production? We're a python-perl-and-php shop, and do not plan

Yes, Jetty is powering stylefeeder.com (the webapp) as well as our
Solr installation.  It's super.  It's very simple, stable and works
great.

phil.

--
                                    Whirlycott