Posted to dev@archiva.apache.org by Marc Lustig <ml...@marclustig.com> on 2009/12/01 10:48:45 UTC

Archiva has periodic load-peaks

Archiva causes periodically an increased system-load. (see MRM-1291 for
Munin-stats )

During these peaks calling the homepage takes around 6 secs, whereas
normally it is around 1 sec.

I could not identify corresponding messages in the logs.

Could somebody else observe this?

Re: Archiva has periodic load-peaks

Posted by Sylvain Avril <av...@gmail.com>.
2009/12/1 Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
> These look to be on the hour, which would correlate with the default scanning interval. You can reduce that period as long as you are not relying on detecting the arrival of files on the filesystem from external sources and can wait for certain metadata to be populated.

Using inotify (for Linux) may be interesting.
Inotify is a linux kernel API which trigger events on filesystem changes :
    - file created.
    - file modified.
    - file renamed.
    - file deleted.

This way, Archiva could trigger a "mini-scan" only when it is usefull.

There are 2 projects providing bindings for Java :
http://code.google.com/p/inotify-java/
http://jnotify.sourceforge.net/

Re: Archiva has periodic load-peaks

Posted by Marc Lustig <ml...@marclustig.com>.
This pretty much sounds like a reasonable explanation - unfortunately it may
not be the (only) reason.

I forgot to mention that this "periodic peaks" load-pattern occurs only from
time to time.
I. e. when the pattern happens, the peaks occur periodically. But after
restarting Archiva, the pattern does not occur anymore for a couple of days
or weeks.

I can be sure about this because we have notifiers installed that warn when
a certain HTTP-request on Archiva exceeds a certain threshold value.
We have not seen alarms between 3rd of november and 30th of november.
On the 30th out of a sudden the periodic load raised tremendously.

I doubt the RDBMS being slower could have an impact on the load.
It's a bit mysterious...

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.