Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org> on 2019/01/30 13:22:35 UTC

2.7.1 (LTS) release?

Hi everyone,

I know we are in the midst of releasing 2.10.0, but with the release process
taking its time I consider creating a patch release for this issue in the
FlinkRunner: https://jira.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-5386

Initially I thought it would be good to do a 2.9.1 release, but since we have an
LTS version, we should probably do a 2.7.1 (LTS) release instead.

What do you think? I could only find one Fix Version 2.7.1 issue in JIRA:
https://jira.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20BEAM%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%202.7.1

Best,
Max

Re: 2.7.1 (LTS) release?

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
By that last bit of logic, wouldn't it also work for master to public
2-SNAPSHOT? It feels a bit odd, though I don't have a concrete objection. I
expect it is easier for tools and our own scripts if we stick to 3 part
versions even when we don't have to.

Kenn

Re: 2.7.1 (LTS) release?

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com>.
Robert: exactly

Max: no reverting, because of what Robert said. They just have a parent
pointer onto the branch. I will update the bash script(s).

Kenn

Re: 2.7.1 (LTS) release?

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.

Re: 2.7.1 (LTS) release?

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.

Re: 2.7.1 (LTS) release?

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com>.

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 8:49 PM Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org> wrote:

> Either looks fine to me. Same content, different label :)
>

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 6:32 PM Michael Luckey <ad...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thx Thomas for that clarification. I tried to express, I d slightly
>> prefer to have branches
>>
>> 2.7.x
>> 2.8.x
>> 2.9.x
>>
>> and tags:
>> 2.7.0
>> 2.7.1
>>
>> So only difference would be to be more explicit on the branch name, i.e.
>> that it embraces all the patch versions. (I do not know how to better
>> express, that '2.7.x' is a literal string and should not be confused as
>> some placeholder.)
>>
>> Regarding the versioning, I always prefer the explicit version including
>> patch version. It might make it easier to help and resolve issues if it is
>> known on which patch level a user is running. I spent lot of lifetime
>> assuming some version and realising later it was 'just another snapshot'
>> version...
>>
>> Just my 2 ct... Also fine with the previous suggestion.
>>

>> On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 3:18 AM Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> As Kenn had already examplified, the suggestion was to have branches:
>>>
>>> 2.7
>>> 2.8

Re: 2.7.1 (LTS) release?

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org>.