Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by John Hawkins <HA...@uk.ibm.com> on 2005/06/15 19:44:45 UTC

"Unit test"

Hi Folks,

we've created a system that we are terming "unit test" however I would
suggest it's more of a server agnostic test system.  Here's the
cut-and-paste from the ANT build file

                This file runs what we have termed the "unit tests". They
are not unit tests in a true sense of the word rather they run a set of
                tests against a "mock server". This is a Java program that
given a request will return back a given response file. Thus this system
is useful for
                testing where we do not have an actual service written but
have the tcp monitor request and response files. From these we can write a
test quickly and easily and place it into
                the unit test suite which avoids us having to create a
large number of potentially complex services when time might not allow
this.

                This system is essentially the same as the fv suite except
for the fact that the endpoint is not
                a server but the mock-server. In order to run this system
several things have to be set up in advance e.g.
                the response files. For more inforamtion about set up of a
new test please read the document
ws-axis/c/tests/auto_build/UnitTest_Readme.txt.

                In order to run the already created unit tests please run
Ant against this build file giving the same properties as you do for
                the fv suite in order for the suite to find your
libraries. NOTE: This system does not handle ssl tests.

OK, so that's the summary.

This does mean that if we get any customer problems that we don't need
their service  we just  need the WSDL, the request and response and a
simple client !!

We are going to run all unit tests on the overnight builds so if you put
any new tests in then we will pick them up "for-free". Please try to add
in as many tests as possible :-)

Any questions please fire away but I would recommend that you read the
readme and then try the ant script to see what you think. This system will
improve (less verbose messages on runtime) however, we were keen to get it
out to you asap.

Question: How do you feel about having this run automatically when we run
the test.xml? We can quite easily add a target to the test.xml so that it
runs the unit tests and then runs the fv tests in sequence without you
having to run them seperately?

thoughts please,

btw: The bad builds recently have been caused by adding this system into
the scripts - many apologies but I'm sure you see that the end is worth
while :-)

cheers,
John.