Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Adrian Sandor <ad...@yahoo.com> on 2007/08/28 09:46:20 UTC

message priorities

As I understand it, when I write a message to an IoSession, it is immediately taken, (filtered) and added to some kind of queue (SocketSessionImpl.writeRequestQueue?) .
Later, the messages are sent out in the order that they were received.
Is there a way to assign priorities to messages, so that higher-priority messages will get sent first (in the order that they were received, if they have the same priority)?
I guess making the queue customizable could achieve that. What do you think?

Adrian

Re: message priorities

Posted by Mike Heath <mh...@apache.org>.
aditsu wrote:

> mheath wrote:
>> Would you log a feature request for this?  Any patches would, of course,
>> be appreciated.
>>

> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRMINA-428
> I'll see if I can find time to write a patch

Excellent!  Your feature request looks good.  Thanks for the detail.

Please let us know if you have any questions about writing a patch.  It
should be a fairly straight forward fix.

-Mike

Re: message priorities

Posted by aditsu <ad...@yahoo.com>.

Re: message priorities

Posted by Mike Heath <mh...@apache.org>.
Adrian Sandor wrote:
> As I understand it, when I write a message to an IoSession, it is immediately taken, (filtered) and added to some kind of queue (SocketSessionImpl.writeRequestQueue?) .
> Later, the messages are sent out in the order that they were received.
> Is there a way to assign priorities to messages, so that higher-priority messages will get sent first (in the order that they were received, if they have the same priority)?
> I guess making the queue customizable could achieve that. What do you think?

There's currently no support for this but it stands to reason that we
could use a prioritized queue for the writeRequestQueue.  It might also
be nice to be able to manipulate the priority from a filter.