Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Sonam Chauhan <so...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/31 06:36:23 UTC

shutdown port and multiple JMeter instances

I use a tool that runs JMeter instances in parallel on one machine. When I
 upgraded from JMeter 2.3 to JMeter 2.4, I hit this  error running 2 JMeter
instances in non-GUI mode:
------------------------
java.net.BindException: Address already in use: Cannot bind
-------------------------

I was pretty mystified until I saw this old post about JMeter binding to a
shutdown port in non-GUI mode:
--------------------------
http://osdir.com/ml/jmeter-user.jakarta.apache.org/2009-11/msg00117.html

if you are running jmeter in parallel on the same machine then you are
probably getting this problem due to the shutdown port (port 4445) specified
in jmeter.properties.
--------------------------

I've now set this port value to 0  (the suggested workaroud) and my tests
work. I  wanted to suggest an alternative approach -- JMeter catching the
BindException and attempting to bind to the next-up port.

Re: shutdown port and multiple JMeter instances

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 2 April 2011 07:37, Adrian Speteanu <as...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think there would be another convienient approach, see bellow:
>
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 7:36 AM, Sonam Chauhan <so...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I use a tool that runs JMeter instances in parallel on one machine. When I
>>  upgraded from JMeter 2.3 to JMeter 2.4, I hit this  error running 2 JMeter
>> instances in non-GUI mode:
>> ------------------------
>> java.net.BindException: Address already in use: Cannot bind
>> -------------------------
>>
>> I was pretty mystified until I saw this old post about JMeter binding to a
>> shutdown port in non-GUI mode:
>> --------------------------
>> http://osdir.com/ml/jmeter-user.jakarta.apache.org/2009-11/msg00117.html
>>
>> if you are running jmeter in parallel on the same machine then you are
>> probably getting this problem due to the shutdown port (port 4445)
>> specified
>> in jmeter.properties.
>> --------------------------
>>
>> I've now set this port value to 0  (the suggested workaroud) and my tests
>> work. I  wanted to suggest an alternative approach -- JMeter catching the
>> BindException and attempting to bind to the next-up port.
>>

> Or maybe if you could set it as a property during launch, then you can
> specify a port so you know for sure on what port to shutdown what instance
> you want.

The next version of JMeter will pick from a range of ports, with the
upper bound specified by:

jmeterengine.nongui.maxport=4455

The chosen port is logged in the console window.

Re: shutdown port and multiple JMeter instances

Posted by Adrian Speteanu <as...@gmail.com>.