Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net> on 2006/01/30 07:14:43 UTC

Things to do

Hi guys.

I was wondering if anyone has come up with a list of things they want to
accomplish in the next 3-4 weeks. (and are looking for volunteers to do)

So far I've heard:

- a ANT file
- a small working demo

I'd like to add to this list with:

- a 'hello' page on http://incubator.apache.org/solr/ which lists the
   tasks TBD, and a basic intro
- some docs about architecture/design (which I under the CNETers have
internally and are de-cnet'ing as we speak)

Doug mentioned that we could use the lucene 'zone' to get a working demo
of Solr which I think we should start as soon as we can get a build going.

regards
Ian (wearing his mentor/ASF hat)

Re: Things to do

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.
> ping infra again after a long enough period has passed).
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-687

The Wiki has been created!
http://wiki.apache.org/solr

-Yonik

Re: Things to do

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.
On 1/30/06, Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net> wrote:
> Hi guys.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has come up with a list of things they want to
> accomplish in the next 3-4 weeks. (and are looking for volunteers to do)
>
> So far I've heard:
>
> - a ANT file
> - a small working demo
The main purpose would be for a tutorial... tell people how to build,
install, add some docs, do some queries.  It would likely end up being
used as a starting point for their own projects.

> I'd like to add to this list with:
>
> - a 'hello' page on http://incubator.apache.org/solr/ which lists the
>    tasks TBD, and a basic intro

I'm working on getting something up there.
Some of that stuff (task list) fits better on a Wiki (which is another
task... ping infra again after a long enough period has passed).
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-687

> - some docs about architecture/design (which I under the CNETers have
> internally and are de-cnet'ing as we speak)

Architecture docs?  You're a funny guy :-)
There was an architecture doc written in the early days, but it's
pretty irrelevant now.
There is a little stuff I could convert (mainly the doc on available
Tokenizers and TokenFilters, and their attributes settable via the
schema).

-Yonik

Re: Things to do

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Ian Holsman wrote:
> Doug mentioned that we could use the lucene 'zone' to get a working demo
> of Solr which I think we should start as soon as we can get a build going.

We certainly could do this, but I'm not sure that we should.  A real
Solr demo will be read/write, and I'm not sure we want to support a
read/write demo on lucene.zones.apache.org, with random folks on the
internet able to write to it.

What would be really cool to build on lucene.zones.apache.org using solr
is a mail-archive search app.  mail-archives.apache.org supports rss
feeds for all mailing lists, so we could simply write a daemon that
periodically polls the feed for each list and stuffs all new messages
into a solr index.

Doug

Re: Things to do

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.
If anyone wants to try things out, you would have to:
 - install the WAR file in webapps as ROOT.
 - explode the WAR, and put solarconfig.xml and schema.xml (and files
it references) in WEB-INF/classes where the classloader can find it.
Look in src/testapps/... for examples of these files.

-Yonik

Re: Things to do

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,