Posted to users@maven.apache.org by maven apache <ap...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/03 06:00:56 UTC

the module in maven

Hi:
I want to know how do maven find the module of the parent project:
for example in the root project whose packaging is pom and the directory is
C:/project, I define the following modules:
-----
  <module>maven</module>
  <module>platform</module>
  <module>main</module>
--------------
So the module "maven" should be a directory under the C:/project/maven or
the directory contains module "maven" can be named as others and its
artifactId should be "maven"?

RE: the module in maven

Posted by Jamie Whitehouse <Ja...@genesyslab.com>.
Just want to note: that is good advise if you want to release the modules separately from the top-level.  It's not strictly necessary if you aren't or if you SCM doesn't support releasing from subdirectories (e.g. Mercurial).

Posted by Alexander <th...@gmail.com>.
Thats what Im talking about. Try to follow maven-way style and you would get
minimal amount of problems.

2009/12/3 Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>

> the reason to make module name to have the same name as artifactId is
> so that you dont have define your scm element in every child pom.  All
> Maven needs to the top pom.xml's scm to figure out out scm element of
> the child module.  this is crucial  when cutting a release the maven
> way using its infamous maven-release-plugin
>
> if you have lots of modules, this convention is very handy.
>

> -Dan
>
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 9:33 PM, Alexander <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yeah, thats right.
> >
> > There are some problems?

> >> I want to rename the module since the old project are not well named.So
> >> should rename both the module directory and module artifact id?

> >> directory
> C:/project/maven
> >> or

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Alexander

Alexander

Re: the module in maven

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: the module in maven

Posted by maven apache <ap...@gmail.com>.
2009/12/3 Alexander <th...@gmail.com>

> Yeah, thats right.
>
> There are some problems?

I have tested it ,and I found that the module configed in the pom just
referred to the module directory so the module artifact id can changed as
one want .

Re: the module in maven

Posted by Alexander <th...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, thats right.

There are some problems?

2009/12/3 maven apache <ap...@gmail.com>

> 2009/12/3 Alexander <th...@gmail.com>
>
> > Maven way is to name module directory as module artifact id.
> >
> I want to rename the module since the old project are not well named.So I
> should rename both the module directory and module artifact id?
>

> > 2009/12/3 maven apache <ap...@gmail.com>
> >
> > > Hi:
> > > I want to know how do maven find the module of the parent project:
> > > for example in the root project whose packaging is pom and the
> directory
> > is
> > > C:/project, I define the following modules:
> > > -----
> > >  <module>maven</module>
> > >  <module>platform</module>
> > >  <module>main</module>
> > > --------------
> > > So the module "maven" should be a directory under the C:/project/maven
> or
> > > the directory contains module "maven" can be named as others and its
> > > artifactId should be "maven"?
> > >

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Alexander

Alexander

Re: the module in maven

Posted by maven apache <ap...@gmail.com>.

Re: the module in maven

Posted by Alexander <th...@gmail.com>.
Maven way is to name module directory as module artifact id.

2009/12/3 maven apache <ap...@gmail.com>

> Hi:
> I want to know how do maven find the module of the parent project:
> for example in the root project whose packaging is pom and the directory is
> C:/project, I define the following modules:
> -----
>  <module>maven</module>
>  <module>platform</module>
>  <module>main</module>
> So the module "maven" should be a directory under the C:/project/maven or
> the directory contains module "maven" can be named as others and its
> artifactId should be "maven"?

Alexander