Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> on 2015/06/19 13:15:30 UTC

Re: Simplifying Jira user management

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 11:57 AM, Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 11:44 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de> wrote:
>>> ...My profile page in JIRA exposes also that I am only in the group jira-users...
>>
>> It might be because you guys are in the "sling" LDAP group but not in
>> "sling-pmc".
>>
>> Maybe we can ask infra to map those to the "sling-developers" and
>> "sling-pmc" JIRA groups if those are mapped from LDAP groups.
>
> Let's see what infra has to say about this, but not everyone in the
> PMC is part of this group, e.g.
>
> - Stefan Egli - https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=egli
> - Dan Klco - https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=klcodanr
>
> It might happen where the Jira username != LDAP username, but I don't
> have a lot of information to back that up.

The reply from Infra ( see [0] ) was that Jira groups are discouraged
since they can't be easily managed and there is no link between Jira
groups and LDAP groups. They therefore recommend assigning users
directly to roles [1] . I will take a second pass through the users
and 'expand' the sling-developers group to its current listing and
remove it from Jira.

Robert

[0]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/INFRA-9820
[1]: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Role+Based+JIRA+Authorization