Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Daniel Jue <te...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/01 22:50:01 UTC

Simple table with SimpleSqlTableDataSource

Hi,
I want to display the contents of a JDBC ResultSet with Tapestry.  The
most obvious examples would be to use a For to iterate over a
Collection() type object.

I'd rather not have to dump the result set into one large object like
a List(), since it just seems inefficient, although I _would_ like the
ability to make some summations on the column data.

I don't need the sorting or paging capabilities of the Contrib:table
right now.  (The sorting and grouping has multiple arguments in the
SQL, and even though the sorting feature would make sense to me, the
users would get confused. =(  )

Paging is not a requirement now, so I'd rather leave that out to keep
things simple.

Also, the SQL used to get the ResultSet is too complex for BIRT to
handle efficiently, and sometimes I call stored procedures that return
Ref Cursors (gasp).  So I figured that since I could get the data into
a ResultSet as sort of a common denominator, I should be able to get
the data on the screen relatively easy.

For the Contrib:table examples I've seen, I need to provide a number
for the total number of rows.  It would be nice if I didn't have to
call a select count(), since the query takes long enough as it is.

In my Googling, i came across javadocs for SimpleSqlTableDataSource,
but I haven't seen any examples of how this might help my problem.

For some more background, the app is for ~100 users, and each have ~80
of these "data pages" available to them, with different parameters.

Thanks,
Dan