Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Brown III, Robert" <RB...@concord.com> on 2001/03/26 23:51:44 UTC

RE: There appears to be an XML-to- HTML formatting problem on my server...

>If cocoon can not find a cocoon-format PI; <?cocoon-format
>type="xxx/yyy"?>
>where xxx/yyy is a formatter in cocoon.properties; it is using the
>default formatter as specified in cocoon.properties:
>
>formatter.default = text/html

A couple of things:

(1) I have no problem with Cocoon using the default formatter. The problem
here is that, in the cocoon.properties file, the declaration for the header
that should be put in for text/html is copied below:

# HTML 4.0 (strict)
formatter.text/html.doctype-public = -//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN
formatter.text/html.doctype-system =
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/strict.dtd

but what is actually being put into the header is:

     "http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html-in-xml/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

which is clearly different from the header that is declared for the default
formatter! Unless there is something I am missing? If Cocoon is going to
insist on using the default formatter, why isn't it pulling in the correct
DTD???

(2) Please note that the XML file did, indeed, have a Cocoon formatting
processing instruction in it (as explained in my original message):

<?cocoon-format type="text/html/loose"?>

which is intended to make Cocoon use the following from the
cocoon.properties file:

# HTML 4.0 (transitional)
formatter.text/html/loose.doctype-public = -//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
Transitional//EN
formatter.text/html/loose.doctype-system =
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd
formatter.text/html/loose.preserve-space = true
formatter.text/html/loose.encoding = UTF-8
formatter.text/html/loose.indent = 1
formatter.text/html/loose.line-width = 120
formatter.text/html/loose.MIME-type = text/html

Note that, in addition, I added the following to my .XSL file, as indicated
by the FAQ:

	<xsl:template match="cocoon-format()">
		<xsl:copy-of select="."/>
	</xsl:template>

My processing- instruction is still being ignored, the default is still
being used -- and the default is still not even going to the correct DTD.

This is looking more and more like a Cocoon bug. Am I correct, or am I
missing something?

(3) What I am trying to do is output XML. What I am *really* doing is trying
to get an Xalan servlet example to work on a system that happens to have
Cocoon on it. I am finding some weird interactions between servlets that use
Xalan and Cocoon. This info, however, is FYI; the problems I am having can
be solved if Cocoon wouldn't keep putting in that reference to a nonexistent
DTD, so that is the thing I am trying to fix.