Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Kurtis Williams <kw...@mshare.net> on 2005/03/23 00:57:21 UTC

Tapestry will be the Sony Betamax? JSF the VHS? Strategy?

I just read this in Rick Hightower's blog:

http://www.jroller.com/page/RickHigh/20050321

In it he states: "Tapestry will be the Sony Betamax and JSF will be the
VHS. The fate is written on the wall.  Tapestry is better. JSF seems
like it will dominate anyway."

Seems like we need a strategy on this.  Hibernate faced this same
problem with JDO and came out on top.  We need to use the same kind of
strategy...

Not to beat a dead horse, but it occurs to me that components are the
reason you use a framework.  We need a vibrant community of commercial
and open-source components behind us.

Re: Tapestry will be the Sony Betamax? JSF the VHS? Strategy?

Posted by "t.n.a." <tn...@sharanet.org>.
Kent Tong wrote:

>Kurtis Williams <kwilliams <at> mshare.net> writes:
>

>>Not to beat a dead horse, but it occurs to me that components are the
>>reason you use a framework.  We need a vibrant community of commercial
>>and open-source components behind us.
>>
>I believe marketing is far more important than components
>or any other technical aspects of Tapestry. Technically
>it is already far superior to any other competitors in
>the Java world.

Well...I guess that depends. No amount of marketing would make me use
tapestry if I didn't really like it's design: I believe the same goes
for a lot of people here, as well as others.
Still, marketing is always good, so if you have ideas how to lobby the
larger vendors to support and bundle tapestry, I'd be happy to hear it.
I'm a computer engineer, not a marketing expert - the same inherently
applies to a lot of people reading this mail, so other than word of
mouth, I'm at a loss as to how I could contribute to the effort.
Till I hear of a sound, doable strategy, all I can do is contribute to
the techology via docs, bugreports, components, user support and the
like and possibly organize a meeting with Vjeran as the only Tapestry
user I know in a 100 kilometer radius. :)

Preparing the stage [WAS: Re: Tapestry will be the Sony Betamax? JSF the VHS? Strategy?]

Posted by Vjeran Marcinko <vj...@tis.hr>.
Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.
I can't take the drama anymore! :-D

This is the library file:

foo.library:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE library-specification PUBLIC
  "-//Apache Software Foundation//Tapestry Specification 3.0//EN"
  "http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/dtd/Tapestry_3_0.dtd">

<library-specification>
  <library id="foo"
specification-path="/org/apache/tapestry/contrib/Contrib.library"/>

<component-type type="TextArea" specification-path="form/TextArea.jwc"/>

</library-specification>
---------
Then in your .applicaton file:
<library id="foo" specification-path="/org/your/package/foo.library"/>

Since the id="foo" when you use your new component, prefix it's type with
"foo:":

<component id="someName" type="foo:TextArea">
    <binding...../>
</component>

Posted by Krishna Manchikalapudi <kr...@corpus.com>.
what do u mean by "Do you cover shipping charges?"

I was expecting some url or sample code to construct library's using
tapestry.

Cheers & Beers,
     Krishna
Website: http://www.mkrishna.com

Re: How to build library

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Re: How to build library

Posted by Krishna Manchikalapudi <kr...@corpus.com>.
yes,

Right now my project very big & its difficult to maintain tapestry (.page &
.html). Atlast, we have splitted into 3 independent pieces. The main module
will have other 2 modules as jar file (eg: tapestry contrib library)

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
You mean like the contrib library that is in Tapestry's CVS?!

	cvs co jakarta-tapestry

:)

How to build library

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.
I just noticed you're on Textdrive. LOL.

Jamie

Posted by PA <pe...@gmail.com>.

--
PA, Onnay Equitursay
http://alt.textdrive.com/

Re: Tapestry will be the Sony Betamax? JSF the VHS? Strategy?

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.
How many WO projects are out there? I looked at the Apple Developers
Conference schedule for this Summer and there is not one session on WO. When
I went two years ago, it was clear WO was dead in the water.

Look, all I'm saying is that Rails has done something I haven't really seen
before (even in WO, which I toyed around with three years ago) in the Web
app development world: make it easy to get the full stack of a basic app
running in an hour or so and the iteratively build that out. That's what
agile development is all about. I can't do that with Tapestry,
Cayenne/Hibernate, etc in an hour. Trails is making an attempt at this. In
the Rails world, with a few commands I can have a running app, and basic
files for test, development and production work.

Also, I'm not saying Rails is better than Tapestry w/ Cayenne or Hibernate.
I'm not interested any of those stupid arguments about "mine's better than
yours". I am interested in seeing what I can learn from different frameworks
and seeing what tools are best for what jobs.

Jamie

Posted by PA <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Iignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.
no kidding!

Posted by Matt Raible <li...@raibledesigns.com>.

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.

Posted by Kent Tong <ke...@cpttm.org.mo>.

Posted by Vjeran Marcinko <vj...@tis.hr>.
Posted by Vjeran Marcinko <vj...@tis.hr>.
Posted by Vince Marco <vm...@mac.com>.
While I agree that components are "part" of the difference, I would
definitely say learning curve is the other half.  Components provide an
"assembler" strategy for reducing the complexity of apps.  The other
side needs to be an easily learnable developer model, with plenty of
learning resources both open and commercial from training courses to
tutorials.  That learning path doesn't need to address advanced topics.
  The notion that every developer is going to digest TIA and attack
Tapestry as an advanced or even mid-level developer is ludicrous.
Early adopters maybe, but we still have folks baffled by Struts.  That
looks to be a mistake that JSF is making as well.  It is an
improvement, but I don't see how it simplifies development other than
through components and tools, which may be enough.  I'd like to see
some convenience classes.  Developers shouldn't have to worry about
overriding the engine or a service, but rather have cookie-cutter
replacements to configure for well traveled web app scenarios.  It
doesn't take away the ability to override those pieces when needed, but
it can be an area of specialization.

And I'll say it again, incompatibility with Portals which are based
upon JSPs is a serious concern.  Not all sites are portals, but a
significant number of enterprise projects are, and nobody in the
enterprise space wants to limit their ability to be deployed into a
Portal downstream.  JSR-168 support is very much needed.

Vince

Posted by Henri Dupre <he...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:58:02 -0500, kranga <kr...@k2d2.org> wrote:
> I said it before and people disagreed, but I'll say it again - "Components
> are key" followed by good documentation and articles. The focus on Tapestry
> 3.1 is not going to help make Tapestry more popular. It only makes it "seem"
> more complicated.

I do agree on this one. Simple word applications may be easier in 3.1
but as soon as you need to integrate other frameworks (such as
Spring), you have to dig into the Engine and other components. I'm not
sure that Hivemind is going to make it easier.
On the other hand, documentation and support are good... even if the
steps are complex I think any beginner can do copy paste to get
started.

Henri.

Re: Tapestry will be the Sony Betamax? JSF the VHS? Strategy?