Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by malepati <ku...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/12 16:35:45 UTC

Re: configurations

Hi Jorge,
"->default" means you are storing dependencies in library folder .
Example:If you have a dependency called "junit.jar" and when you run the
build junit.jar will store in ".lib" folder.In this context your library
folder structure looks like:

.lib
 !_junit.jar
 !_apache.jar
 !_jdbc.jar
 !_odbc14.jar

When you want to divide your dependencies by category wise you can change
"->default".
Example:
<configurations>
   <conf name="third-party" description="lists all third-party libraries"/>
   <conf name="inhouse-jars" description="lists all your hand made
dependencies"/>
</configurations>

and you define dependency like this:
<dependency org="project1" name="module1" rev="1.0"
conf="inhouse-jars->default"/>
<dependency org="apache" name="apache" rev="1.0"
conf="third-party->default"/>

In the above context your library folder structure will be as follows:
.libs
 !
 !_inhouse-jars
 !     !
 !     !__module1.jar
 !
 !_third-party
       !
       !_apache.jar
       !_jdbc.jar

So this is to define your Library folder structure.
Hope this helped you a basic idea.

--Kumar

RE: configurations

Posted by Jonathan Roberts <jr...@rjlg.com>.
Wait a minute... that's not right.

The "->default" in
<dependency org="project1" name="module1" rev="1.0"
conf="inhouse-jars->default"/>

means that for the module1 dependency use the named "default" config in
the module1's ivy file.  Most likely this config will get the
module1.jar + any of it's runtime dependencies, but it depends on
module1's ivy.xml

so the "inhouse-jars" part points to your config,
the "default" part refers to module1's config.