Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Michael Thessel <mi...@gossamer-threads.com> on 2007/04/20 01:47:16 UTC

Solr performance warnings

Hello,

in my logs I get from time to time this message:

INFO: PERFORMANCE WARNING: Overlapping onDeckSearchers=2

What does this mean? What can I do to avoid this?

Cheers,

Michael

Re: Solr performance warnings

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.
On 4/20/07, Michael Thessel <mi...@gossamer-threads.com> wrote:

> The timed commits don't work for me. The webinterface says 0 commits
> since the server was restarted. And nothing in the logs as well.
>
> I use:
> apache-solr-1.1.0-incubating

Sorry about that--I see that that change was added a few weeks after
1.1 was cut.  I suggest using a nightly build from Feb 2 or later, or
waiting until 1.2 is released.

cheers,
-Mike

Re: Solr performance warnings

Posted by Michael Thessel <mi...@gossamer-threads.com>.
Michael Thessel wrote:
> Mike Klaas wrote:
>> On 4/20/07, Michael Thessel <mi...@gossamer-threads.com> wrote:
>>> Hey Erik,
>>>
>>> thanks for the fast reply. Yes this could be possible. I currently got
>>> solr running for the indexing of a forum with 100k users. It could
>>> definitely be possible that two commits overlap. But I need to commit
>>> all changes because the new posts must be available in the search as
>>> soon as they are posted.
>>>
>>> Do you think there is a way to optimize this?
>>
>> "As soon as" is a rather vague requirement.  If you can specify the
>> minimum acceptible delay, then you can use Solr's autocommit
>> functionality to trigger commits.
>>
>> -Mike
>
> I didn't know about the timed commits. That's perfect for me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

The timed commits don't work for me. The webinterface says 0 commits
since the server was restarted. And nothing in the logs as well.

I use:
apache-solr-1.1.0-incubating

My updateHandler section from solrconfig.xml:

<updateHandler class="solr.DirectUpdateHandler2">
   <autoCommit>
     <maxTime>10000</maxTime>
   </autoCommit>
</updateHandler>

I also tried <maxTime>10</maxTime> in case its seconds and not ms.

Posted by Michael Thessel <mi...@gossamer-threads.com>.

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Thessel <mi...@gossamer-threads.com>.
Hey Erik,