Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> on 2024/02/16 23:03:47 UTC

10.0.x branched

Hi all,

Sorry for the delays, but we’re finally ready to begin the 10.0.x release cycle. I’ve branched current master today, which is named 10.0.x. There are a few implications with this branch, as per the new release process that was agreed upon quite a while ago. The three laws of master branch:

1. Master branch is now essentially the next 10.1 branch. Once we’re ready to start 10.1 release, we will just branch everything off master (whole sale). There will be no cherry picking from master to a 10.1 branch. PRs being landed on master should have Milestone 10.1.0 starting today.

2. With the above, this also implies that master now has to stay backwards compatible with all 10.x releases. Any change that are incompatible with 10.x, *must* be made against the new 11-Dev branch. In addition you must then also mark the PR with Project "11-Dev", as well as tagged with “Incompatible”.

3. You are always allowed to add new features to master, unless it violates 1 or 2 above.

In the 10.0.x branch that we just made, we can still cherry pick from master to this branch. But just as before, these PRs should be for serious bug and security fixes. New features generally do not get back ported to a patch release branch. For consideration to back port to e.g. 10.0.x, set the Project with “ATS 10.0.x”. If approved for a back port, the RM will change the milestone to the next 10.0.x patch release.

Cheers,

— Leif