Posted to user@drill.apache.org by John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com> on 2016/07/05 17:30:49 UTC

Drill1.7 Feedback - Logs in Web UI

I like the concept of logs in the web UI, however at this time, it assumes
that there will only be one directory for logfiles. The way I've set mine
up is to have different directories for logs, dcplogs, profiles, etc.  That
way, I can organize them out a bit, and for those logs that are in json
format, actually use drill to query them (awesome).   So to that end, here
are some observations/suggestions.

1. Create an option that will specify what the extensions of valid log
files will be (perhaps default to .json,.log) that way, you don't have a
web server trying to render things that perhaps should not be rendered
(only one of many protections that may need to be here). For example, I
tared up some logfiles, the UI shouldn't try to render that, or show that
it exists.

2. Allow traversal from the log directory to subdirectories. (But not up
pas the log dir root!)

3.  Provide sortable (Name, Size, Last Modified)

4. Show permissions on the list page

Re: Drill1.7 Feedback - Logs in Web UI

Posted by Arina Yelchiyeva <ar...@gmail.com>.
I have created Jira to address enhancements mentioned by John -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-4775.

Posted by Arina Yelchiyeva <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi John!

Thanks a lot for your feedback!
Please see my comments inline.

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 8:30 PM, John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com> wrote:

> I like the concept of logs in the web UI, however at this time, it assumes
> that there will only be one directory for logfiles.

The way I've set mine
> up is to have different directories for logs, dcplogs, profiles, etc.  That
> way, I can organize them out a bit, and for those logs that are in json
> format, actually use drill to query them (awesome).   So to that end, here
> are some observations/suggestions.
>

> 1. Create an option that will specify what the extensions of valid log
> files will be (perhaps default to .json,.log) that way, you don't have a
> web server trying to render things that perhaps should not be rendered
> (only one of many protections that may need to be here). For example, I
> tared up some logfiles, the UI shouldn't try to render that, or show that
> it exists.

I suggest to show all files by default. If user wants to exclude some
extensions, he may modify the option.

> 2. Allow traversal from the log directory to subdirectories. (But not up
> pas the log dir root!)

Agree.