Posted to dev@metamodel.apache.org by Kasper Sørensen <i....@gmail.com> on 2015/06/19 13:10:55 UTC

[DISCUSS] Java 6 support - still needed?

Hi all,

I am right now doing a new release (candidate) and have just run into some
SSL issues with my old Java 6 that I wanted to do the release with. The
particular issue is solved now, but it reminded me of the last few months
where we have seen tough problems with getting the build to run on Java 6
while many of the libraries/databases [1] we use are not even Java 6
compatible any more.

So I guess my question is if we could consider stopping Java 6 support? I
know that we at Human Inference / Neopost have stopped supporting Java 6.
We could also just bump the version number and still have a old Java 6
compatible version and branch if needed.

Best regards,
Kasper

[1] ElasticSearch, HBase, Cassandra-unit and also the Solr module (in
non-merged branch)

Re: [DISCUSS] Java 6 support - still needed?

Posted by Alberto Rodriguez <ar...@gmail.com>.
+1 to stopping Java 6 support. Last weeks we've been having some issues
with Java 6 compatibility I'm afraid that in the near future we'll be
facing more and more issues so it would be nice not supporting version 6
anymore.

Kind regards,

Alberto

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.