Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Santinello, Anthony" <an...@experian.com> on 2012/03/29 20:07:04 UTC

Struts/CMS/Drupal

Hi..

Wonder if I can get some advice/suggestions..

Has anyone used Drupal and Struts together?  Drupal is a CMS for managing content/web features.  I have a user that wants to use Drupal.  Our application uses Struts; anyway to combine the two.

Pretty much using Drupal as the View? Any ideas how to do so? I was thinking about Struts pointing to PHP; but then you lose the power of JSP/JSTL/Forms/etc?

If not does anyone know of a CMS that integrates easily with struts?

Thanks,

Tony

Re: Struts/CMS/Drupal

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 8:39 PM, Santinello, Anthony
<an...@experian.com> wrote:
> Christian -- I'll have to check it out some more.  I have heard of quercus as a possible option.  Just have to try it.
>
> So..Struts would call PHP pages using quercus instead of JSP pages?
>
> Or it sounds like what your saying is the PHP would make requests to Struts that would do the business logic and return data(json/xml) to the PHP to process; am I close?  But it sounds like I would lose the dynamic nature of JSP pages?

In the Quercus case:

Web Request -> Drupal/PHP -> Struts classes

You would be able to reuse you java classes, but you also might loose
the Struts interceptor stack.

In JSON/Rest case:

Web Request -> Drupal/PHP -> web request-> Struts action

You would keep your Struts interceptors here. And you have not the
pain with Quercus (which can be complex sometimes)

The problem is, Drupal does use its own database with content. You
would have to work that all up and redirect to Struts. To be honest,
this all is pretty challenging. My guess is, if you use Drupal for CMS
work, then you will not manage to get the Data to your Struts app
without pain. You have only a serious chance if struts delivers
business data (facts, user data whatever) and Drupal manages the CMS
stuff. But then you have two databases....

Guess you'll have a lot of fun pretty soon.

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

RE: Struts/CMS/Drupal

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: Struts/CMS/Drupal

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Tony,

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: Struts/CMS/Drupal

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.

> But I'm stuck trying to get Drupal because my marketing team wants to use
> it.  I could be wrong; but from what I read on the Drupal forums there is
> not a Java API.

There doesn't need to be, if there's something RESTful--I know nothing
about Drupal, so I'm useless with regards to anything Drupaly.

> The only way I see it possibly working is having PHP making calls to the
> back-end logic via some web-service?  And try to re-use the code/business
> logic  we used for Struts?

If the Struts code has an API then PHP could access it like any other web
service.

It really depends on what you're trying to integrate, and what it really
means. It sounds more like you're asking "where do I create the
integration", in the Struts app, or the Drupal app. That I don't know--it
depends on what has the easiest access/integration points, what you're most
familiar with, what the client's needs are, etc.

You're a bit limited in that they're insisting on Drupal--if they want to
do everything through Drupal then your best bet may be to hook in to your
Struts app through that.

Dave

Re: Struts/CMS/Drupal

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 8:32 PM, Santinello, Anthony
<an...@experian.com> wrote:
> The only way I see it possibly working is having PHP making calls to the back-end logic via some web-service?  And try to re-use the code/business logic  we used for Struts?

Thats possible, if you don't use tools like Quercus.

You can use the JSON Plugin for that. Its bundled
http://struts.apache.org/2.3.1.2/docs/json-plugin.html

Or you use this plugin:
https://github.com/grobmeier/jjson

Cheers

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

RE: Struts/CMS/Drupal

Posted by "Santinello, Anthony" <an...@experian.com>.
I define "integrating" by limited changes to our Struts Framework(model/view/controller) in order to use Drupal.

And yes I agree with you in terms on nonsensical. Many member of the Drupal community will also agree with you.

Re: Struts/CMS/Drupal

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.