Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by "Ritacco, Steven" <SR...@shsolutions.com> on 2004/10/27 19:15:38 UTC

Expires header

Hi,

Back when I was developing the site I wanted to avoid browser/proxy caching
but now that I have it in production (I'm on the binary 1.2 version) I have
a performance problem because the images on the site are not getting cached.
I've looked at the headers coming out and there are no "no cache" directives
but there is an "Expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT" which seems to be
present on everything.  I'm fine with letting Lenya continue to serve the
images because it isn't a high traffic site but how do I get rid of the
expires header so that the images get cached?  I saw that the oscom project
did something with "expires" so I tested it but it's images get the same
Jan 1970 expiration.

Steve

ps: the site is www.shsolutions.com

Re: Expires header

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Ritacco, Steven wrote:

> ps: the site is www.shsolutions.com

you mind if i add it to

  http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/community/live-sites.html

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                          http://lenya.apache.org

Re: Expires header

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Ritacco, Steven wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Back when I was developing the site I wanted to avoid browser/proxy caching
> but now that I have it in production (I'm on the binary 1.2 version) I have
> a performance problem because the images on the site are not getting cached.
> I've looked at the headers coming out and there are no "no cache" directives
> but there is an "Expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT" which seems to be
> present on everything.  I'm fine with letting Lenya continue to serve the
> images because it isn't a high traffic site but how do I get rid of the
> expires header so that the images get cached?  I saw that the oscom project
> did something with "expires" so I tested it but it's images get the same
> Jan 1970 expiration.

try setting the expires parameter for map:read and check what the
expires parameter is se to for your image pipelines as well.

one you have that working correctly you can use mod_expires on apache 2
to have those served by apache directly.