Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/21 17:41:40 UTC

devcloud kvm

Hi,

I am relaying a question about devcloud-kvm from folks that are not yet on the mailing list.

There are two parts to the question:

1-How can we use devcloud to act as a host only node ? one devcloud would be run to have a mgt server and another one would be run to act as a separate host. Both devclouds running on two separate physical hosts.

2-Is it possible to configure devcloud-kvm to use qemu emulation without VT-x and not use xen ?

Basically the folks I am talking to want to run devcloud and see "kvm" hosts in the infrastructure.

thanks,

-Sebastien

Re: devcloud kvm

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 22, 2013, at 1:26 AM, Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 8:41 AM, Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am relaying a question about devcloud-kvm from folks that are not yet on the mailing list.
>>
>> There are two parts to the question:
>>
>> 1-How can we use devcloud to act as a host only node ? one devcloud would be run to have a mgt server and another one would be run to act as a separate host. Both devclouds running on two separate physical hosts.
>
> So, you cannot run kvm on a paravirtualized hpv, which is why devcloud
> appliance would run xen, the hypervisor running can be virtualbox
> (tools/devcloud) or kvm (tools/devcloud-kvm).
> It's upto the hypervisor which is running the appliance to provide
> host only network, while this is ready made in virtualbox, one can
> setup a virtual network for vms in kvm (Marcus should advise here).
> And yes, you can do that, run mgmt server+mysql in one devcloud and
> use other as host+nfs/localstorage.
>

>> 2-Is it possible to configure devcloud-kvm to use qemu emulation without VT-x and not use xen ?
>>

> I tried that once and it just did not work for me; maybe it's
> possible, one should be able to run vms on qemu emulation. I think
> http://devstack.org does that and so should be do-able.

thanks Rohit,

apparently devstack has a configuration variable that allows you to switch between kvm and qemu emulation

Re: devcloud kvm

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.