Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Magesh Umasankar <um...@rediffmail.com> on 2001/11/04 04:43:40 UTC

Ant 1.5 and the Java 2 Platform

Hi,

While we move towards Ant2, I am wondering if releases
that are made till Ant2 have to stay JDK 1.1 compatible.
Even if one argues that the core has to remain 1.1
compatible, perhaps optional tasks need not?  We can
always say Task X needs JDK 1.2.x and above, just as
we say Task Y needs Jakarta ORO installed?

Magesh

Re: Ant 1.5 and the Java 2 Platform

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 4 Nov 2001, Magesh Umasankar <um...@rediffmail.com> wrote:

> While we move towards Ant2, I am wondering if releases
> that are made till Ant2 have to stay JDK 1.1 compatible.

Yes.

> Even if one argues that the core has to remain 1.1
> compatible, perhaps optional tasks need not?

There already are optional tasks that are not 1.1 compatible like most
EJB related tasks or <javah> - we even have some classes in the module
that require JDK 1.4+.

Stefan

Re: Ant 1.5 and the Java 2 Platform

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Interesting q. Already we degrade functionality on 1.1 (touch), but everyone
is thorough about using reflection to access post1.1 facilities. Yet
optional tasks today implicitly depend on java 1.2+ (ex: JSPC needs jasper,
which I believe is a 1.2+ jar.

I think it is important to support java 1.1, as it is not only a target for
apps, but some platforms are limited to java1.1 for builds too. I dont know
how many people build ant+optional tasks using a 1.1 jvm, but doing so does
act as a check against accidentally including non 1.1 code;

What particular 1.2+ functionality were you thinking of?