Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2018/08/20 06:45:03 UTC

[ALL] Make checkstyle:check part of default maven goal?

Hi,

one thing I always have to do when preparing a release is to fix all the
checkstyle and findbugs errors. This step could be eliminated if we added
checkstyle:check and findbugs:check to the maven default goal. This way it
would be executed on CI builds and we would see failing checkstyle/findbugs
right away.

WDYT?
Benedikt

Re: [ALL] Make checkstyle:check part of default mavengoal?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hello.

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 08:45:03 +0200, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> one thing I always have to do when preparing a release is to fix all
> the
> checkstyle and findbugs errors. This step could be eliminated if we
> added
> checkstyle:check and findbugs:check to the maven default goal. This
> way it
> would be executed on CI builds and we would see failing
> checkstyle/findbugs
> right away.

+1 for adding them on the Jenkins jobs.
-1 for making them called by default (reports are not necessary for
    each build while developing).

Before committing a contribution, I try to always run
  $ mvn site
and check whether the reports are clean; but sometimes I forget (to
either run or check all relevant reports), so it may be useful to
have a profile that would fail the build if one of the important
checks reports a violation. [Then, running with this profile on should
be required from a contributor, before submitting a PR.]

Best,
Gilles

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2018-08-20, Benedikt Ritter wrote:

> one thing I always have to do when preparing a release is to fix all the
> checkstyle and findbugs errors. This step could be eliminated if we added
> checkstyle:check and findbugs:check to the maven default goal. This way it
> would be executed on CI builds and we would see failing checkstyle/findbugs
> right away.

As long as there is a way to disable it, I'm fine with that. Not all
components use checkstyle (which means they don't have to fix any
checkstyle errors before a release ;-).

Stefan

Re: [ALL] Make checkstyle:check part of default maven goal?

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

> On Aug 27, 2018, at 2:33 PM, Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> At least RAT and clirr/japicmp should be part of default goal.
>
> I'm personally prefer checkstyle and findbugs/spotbugs (although I prefer error-prone nowadays) to be part of the default goal.
>
> On Java 8+ it is also helpful to make javadoc part of the default goal.
>
> I think it is very convenient to be able to execute everything with "mvn" before committing and have the build fail if there are any violations. It is also helpful for pull request, because travis can run the default goal too.
>
> By the way: lang and text already have all these as default goal and io is just missing findbugs.
>
> Cheers,
> Pascal

I’m a +1 to this idea.

-Rob