Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Michele Sciabarra <mi...@sciabarra.com> on 2020/08/04 15:59:52 UTC

What to do with Go 1.11 and Go 1.12?

I have a working implementation of Go 1.13 and Go 1.14, but I disabled modules support for now.
I would like to enable modules, and update all the examples. However, I wonder what to do of go 1.11 and go 1.12

Should I simply disable building the runtimes (so you can still using the old released ones on GitHub) commenting out the code (that i will leave in place, just in case someone wants to build and old runtime on its own) or I should keep building also the old runtimes ? That could be inconvenient because of supporting modules that older versions does not...

--
  Michele Sciabarra
  michele@sciabarra.com

Re: What to do with Go 1.11 and Go 1.12?

Posted by Michele Sciabarra <mi...@sciabarra.com>.
ok so for now I build newer 1.13 and 1.14 and stop building older releases.

--
  Michele Sciabarra
  michele@sciabarra.com

>> I have a working implementation of Go 1.13 and Go 1.14, but I
>> disabled modules support for now.
>> I would like to enable modules, and update all the examples.
>> However, I wonder what to do of go 1.11 and go 1.12
>
> For other runtimes, when a version has hits its EOL and is no longer
> receiving security patches we have removed the sub-tree entirely from git.
>
> I would suggest doing the same for go.

This makes sense to me too.

Regards,

Rob

Re: What to do with Go 1.11 and Go 1.12?

Posted by Rob Allen <ro...@akrabat.com>.

Posted by David P Grove <gr...@us.ibm.com>.

"Michele Sciabarra" <mi...@sciabarra.com> wrote on 08/04/2020 11:59:52
AM:

> I have a working implementation of Go 1.13 and Go 1.14, but I
> disabled modules support for now.
> I would like to enable modules, and update all the examples.
> However, I wonder what to do of go 1.11 and go 1.12
>
> Should I simply disable building the runtimes (so you can still
> using the old released ones on GitHub) commenting out the code (that
> i will leave in place, just in case someone wants to build and old
> runtime on its own) or I should keep building also the old runtimes
> ? That could be inconvenient because of supporting modules that
> older versions does not...

For other runtimes, when a version has hits its EOL and is no longer
receiving security patches we have removed the sub-tree entirely from git.

I would suggest doing the same for go.

--dave