Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Eric <sp...@internetsmallfry.com> on 2009/03/08 00:59:33 UTC

"svn log" Doesn't Give Complete Log

Isn't the command...

svn log -r base:head TheFiles

... supposed to give the complete log of the Subversion-revisioned
"TheFiles" tree, all the way from the beginning to the latest?

I'm working on about Subversion version 106 of the directory tree,
and all I get from that command is the logs for versions 100 through 106.

On the other hand, if I say...

svn log TheFiles

... (with no "-r" argument), I get all of the logs from 100 back to
the beginning (but NOT from 106 back to the beginning), in reverse order.

What am I doing wrong?

Re: "svn log" Doesn't Give Complete Log

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 1:59 AM, Eric <sp...@internetsmallfry.com> wrote:
> Isn't the command...
>
> svn log -r base:head TheFiles
>
> ... supposed to give the complete log of the Subversion-revisioned
> "TheFiles" tree, all the way from the beginning to the latest?
>
> I'm working on about Subversion version 106 of the directory tree,
> and all I get from that command is the logs for versions 100 through 106.
>
> On the other hand, if I say...
>
> svn log TheFiles
>
> ... (with no "-r" argument), I get all of the logs from 100 back to
> the beginning (but NOT from 106 back to the beginning), in reverse order.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#hidden-log

HTH,

Erik.

Re: "svn log" Doesn't Give Complete Log

Posted by B Smith-Mannschott <bs...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 01:59, Eric <sp...@internetsmallfry.com> wrote:
> Isn't the command...
>
> svn log -r base:head TheFiles
>
> ... supposed to give the complete log of the Subversion-revisioned
> "TheFiles" tree, all the way from the beginning to the latest?

No. It gives you the log from BASE to HEAD, just like it says. BASE is
the current revision the last time you updated your working copy. In
effect, this will show you the log messages for all the changes that
have been made since your last update, so you know what to expect when
you do "svn up".

> I'm working on about Subversion version 106 of the directory tree,
> and all I get from that command is the logs for versions 100 through 106.
>
> On the other hand, if I say...
>
> svn log TheFiles
>
> ... (with no "-r" argument), I get all of the logs from 100 back to
> the beginning (but NOT from 106 back to the beginning), in reverse order.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

The default is -rBASE:1 if you don't specify a revision range.

Re: "svn log" Doesn't Give Complete Log

Posted by Holger Stratmann <ti...@finch.de>.
Eric wrote:
> Isn't the command...
>
> svn log -r base:head TheFiles
>
> ... supposed to give the complete log of the Subversion-revisioned
> "TheFiles" tree, all the way from the beginning to the latest?
No, not at all.
"Base" is not the "base of the repository" (aka r1), it's the base of
the working copy!

I don't use the command line a lot, I usually have Trac, WebSVN and/or
TortoiseSVN installed, but it seems you're looking for
svn log 1:head
or
svn log head:1
> I'm working on about Subversion version 106 of the directory tree,
> and all I get from that command is the logs for versions 100 through 106.
Exactly :-)
Apparently, your working copy is at revision 100 (or 99? I'm not
sure...) and that's why "base" refers to that revision and gives you the
log from there up to head.
> On the other hand, if I say...
>
> svn log TheFiles
>
> ... (with no "-r" argument), I get all of the logs from 100 back to
> the beginning (but NOT from 106 back to the beginning), in reverse order.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
You're using the wrong parameters :-)))
AND you're confusing "base" with "revision 1".

Go check
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.html#svn.ref.svn.c.log
and
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.html#svn.tour.history
Seems like everything that's happening to you is described there :-)
(and a lot more - I really recommend the book!)

Re: "svn log" Doesn't Give Complete Log

Posted by Jeremy Whitlock <jc...@gmail.com>.
> Isn't the command...
>
> svn log -r base:head TheFiles
>
> ... supposed to give the complete log of the Subversion-revisioned
> "TheFiles" tree, all the way from the beginning to the latest?

No.  BASE is a special revision that corresponds with the state of the
file as it was last updated from the repository or committed in the
working copy.

> I'm working on about Subversion version 106 of the directory tree,
> and all I get from that command is the logs for versions 100 through 106.
>
> On the other hand, if I say...
>
> svn log TheFiles
>
> ... (with no "-r" argument), I get all of the logs from 100 back to
> the beginning (but NOT from 106 back to the beginning), in reverse order.

Well, if you do a client-side log, it logs from the revision the path
exists in the local working copy.  I bet if you ran "svn info", you'd
see 100 instead of 106.  Run "svn up" first, then "svn log" and you
should get everything.

--
Take care,

Jeremy Whitlock