Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mohammed Nasr Shalaby <na...@nasrit.net> on 2000/11/22 22:10:08 UTC

Installing TomCat on IIS

HI ALL

I've managed to run TomCat as a container within the IIS thanks to Gal
Shachor

<sh...@il.ibm.com> who made the first redirector DLL file and the
first to describe this

setup process on this document "

http://jakarta.apache.org/cvsweb/index.cgi/~checkout~/jakarta-tomcat/etc/Attic/tomcat-iis-ho

wto.html?rev=1.6&content-type=text/html ". Also many thanks to Marc
Saegesser

<ma...@apropos.com> whose remarks was very helpful and it
really made me do it

perfictly.

Well guys, we'll start right here:
First I must say that I've tested this on NT4.0 server and W2K server
ONLY. Sorry for other

platform users.  :)
All through this document I'll assume you IIS4.0 on NT4.0 server and use
TomCat 3.1 final

release and had installed it in d:\tomcat (you must change any changes
needed to match your

installation directories).

To run tomcat you must first install the JAVA SDK (JAVA Software
Development Kit). This can

be downloaded from " http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/ ". I used SDK1.3 for
my setup.
Your PATH Environment Variable must contain the full path for javac.exe
file (usually

\jdk1.3\bin).

Now you can install TomCat run it (open run, write cmd, change to
d:\tomcat\bin, write "

tomcat run ") and test it (open your browser and write "
http://localhost:8080/ ")

You must also have the file called isapi_redirect.dll . This is the
redirector file that

will be used with IIS. You can make your redirector if you like, or get
one from "

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat/bin/iis/nt4/i386/ ". Now
install this file

in d:\tomcat\bin\iis\i386 (I'll asume you used this directory as I
proceed).

Now we will do some modifications in the registry. I prefer you will
make a full backup for

your registry before you do this stuff.
Here we go:

1 - Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE add these key herarichy "\Apache
Software

Foundation\Jakarta Isapi Redirector\1.0"

2 - Add the following keys (all as "String Value"):
  a - extension_uri, Value="/jakarta/isapi_redirct.dll".
  b - log_file, Value="d:\tomcat\logs\iis_redirect.log".
  c - log_level, Value="debug" (This can take also other values, but
this will do

perfictly).
  d - worker_file, Value="d:\tomcat\conf\workers.properties".
  e - worker_mount, Value="d:\tomcat\conf\uriworkermap.properties".
N.B: I'll attach a .reg file that contains all this stuff so you can
merge it into your

servers registry (But at your own risk).

3 - Now open IIS manegement consol and create a virtual folder called "
jakarta " and assign

it to the folder d:\tomcat\bin\iis\i386 .

4 - Add an ISAPI Filter to any of your web sites (or add it on the
machine level), I suggest

you name it jakarta, and give it the isapi_redirect.dll from
d:\tomcat\bin\iis\i386 .

5 - Now stop your site/service and restart it again.

Now open your browser and write the URL for the site you added the
filter for and add "

/examples/ "    <--watch out for this last "/" it made us stuck for a
while........

if you can now see the examples folder of the TomCat and can run all the
JSP and Servelet

examples in it. If you don't check these things

1 - Open your ISAPI Filter and see the jakarta one: If it has a green
arrow pointing up then

it is running, else you will see a red arrow pointing down.

2 - Check the size of the isapi_redirect.dll file (It should be 96kb for
version 3.1).

3 - Search your event viewer for any W3SVC errors and read it carefully.

4 - Creating the file iis_redirect.log in the d:\tomcat\logs may some
time help.

These are all the data I've gathered for two long days about installing
TomCat on IIS. Hope

I'm of any good for those who wish to do so.

All questions and comments on this document are welcome. It will help me
further in

upgrading this document.

Yours
Mohammed Nasr Shalaby