Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/23 18:18:29 UTC

assigning JIRAs to non committers

Just an idle observation as I'd never seen this workflow before on
JIRA so thought I'd ask :)

I've been watching some of the recent JIRA activity with interest.
I've seen a few JIRAs arrive, someone submits a test case who's not a
committer, then the issue gets assigned to the person who submitted
the patch. In some cases; when there may be many patches to assign
over time, I can understand it (e.g. ZOOKEEPER-78 could take a zillion
iterations before the feature is complete) - but in general if one
JIRA gets one patch from a non-committer, should the JIRA be left
unassigned - or assigned to a committer to review and apply or
reject-with-reason the patch?

i.e. lets say I raise a JIRA and attach a patch; once we're at that
stage I can't actually do anything else, not being a committer - other
than add another version of the patch :) So am not sure if its worth
assigning the issue to me. I guess the person who raised the issue &
submitted the patch can always mark it as unassigned :)

No biggie I just thought I'd ask if this was an intentional way you
guys had worked together in the past?

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration
http://open.iona.com

Re: assigning JIRAs to non committers

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
Actually not your bad, I just added that page last night. ;-)

I really appreciate your (everyone) input and it's helping to shape our
decisions as a new Apache project. I know that everyone is super excited
to run with ZooKeeper, we (existing project members) are excited as
well. Bear with us as we move our project & process from SF to Apache.

A bit of status/background: We are currently working towards 4 goals (in
order or priority):

1) support/expand our user & contributor base
2) complete migration to ASF
3) 3.0 version of ZooKeeper
and just added recently
4) recipe implementation (which is a good thing IMO and also supports 1
above)

SVN and Jira have been moved from SF to ASF. We are still working on the
docs/site migration. There are a number of 3.0 issues currently
unresolved, feel free to jump on those as we would like to push the 3.0
release once ASF migration is completed.

Regards,

Patrick

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

--
James
-------

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
James Strachan wrote:
> Just an idle observation as I'd never seen this workflow before on
> JIRA so thought I'd ask :)

I'm new to JIRA as well...