Posted to dev@impala.apache.org by Philip Zeyliger <ph...@cloudera.com.INVALID> on 2018/06/15 18:23:06 UTC

Branch 2.x

Hi folks,

As you know, many of us have been maintaining the 2.x branch by having a
cherry-pick job (https://jenkins.impala.io/job/cherrypick-2.x-and-test/)
and, when it fails, manually pushing through the issues. This has proven to
be quite the burden, and I'm planning on disabling the automatic job.

Please let this thread know if you're interested in adopting the 2.x
branch. If there are no takers, we can let it lie dormant.

Thanks!

-- Philip

Re:Re: Re: Branch 2.x

Posted by Quanlong Huang <hu...@126.com>.
Is it possible that we only apply bug fixes to the 2.x branch? Or can we wait until the master branch become healthy from broken/flasky tests and then cherry-pick all the bug fixes to the 2.x branch? It'd be great if we can at least release 2.13 so our works after 2.12 won't be wasted.

In addition, I think there're still guys (at least me) who volunteers to maintain the 2.x branch. Since not everyone in the Impala community (at least for those in the user mailing list) are informed about this breaking news, when they get this and find they can't upgrade to 3.x in short term, they may also join us to maintain the 2.x branch. The first step can be wait until the master branch become healthy and then catch up all the patches.

-- Quanlong

Re: Re: Branch 2.x

Posted by Philip Zeyliger <ph...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Hi Quanlong,

Re:Re: Branch 2.x

Posted by Quanlong Huang <hu...@126.com>.
Sorry, Philip. Do you mean we won't apply new patches to the 2.x branch? I thought you just mean to disable the automatic cherry-pick job.

In my limited understanding, there're two major breaking changes for the 3.x branch:

* Standard SQL syntax: legacy HQL may fail on syntax errors in Impala-3.x
* Hadoop 3: Impala-3.x can only be deployed on Hadoop 3.x and Hive 2.x

If unfortunately you mean to abandon the 2.x branch, what should the users do if they can't upgrade their hadoop cluster? For a business-critical cluster whose data size reaches PB level, it's really hard for it to upgrade.

-- Quanlong

Re: Branch 2.x

Posted by Tim Armstrong <ta...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Re: Branch 2.x