Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com> on 2003/07/13 22:31:06 UTC

Re: Keeping your test source code in a separate, but parallelsource tree

On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 14:43, Mark R. Diggory wrote:
> Thanks Gilles,
>
> Its good to know that this is configurable, I'm working on another
> project where we're trying to get Maven working but cannot yet
> restructure the cvs to meet "assumed Maven best practices" without
> breaking the old build.
>
> I'd caution on the use of default settings as a "rule" for what Maven
> encourages/discourages. Developers are always going to have varying
> requirements.

That will always be true but why do we as developers demand consistent
APIs for everything we use and then ignore this rule when constructing
build systems? What is good about having N different ways a build system
works? And if you disagree you have plenty of tools to choose from.

> Forcing them into a box will only reduce your user base in
> the long run.

Much to my dismay this has not been the case. And the target for me has
always been newer users because anyone with an existing build has always
tried to demand to have their way incorporated as an option in Maven. It
has always been the intent to strive for consistency and coherence,
sometimes at the cost of other things. That was a conscious decision.

> The current defaults are great if your starting a new
> project, they are far from adequate when attempting to "Mavenize" an
> existing project.

There has never been an attempt to accommodate the myriad ways of doing
things. Maven is not Ant.

> The Maven team should avoid using "defaults" as some
> sort of inflexible "standard".

The whole point of Maven is to provide some uniformity and coherence
from the ground up. Lots of people don't like the way Maven works and
that's perfectly fine.

> --
> jvz.
>
> Jason van Zyl
> jason@zenplex.com
> http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Undocumented properties

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Maybe someone could integrate this into the Maven user's guide.

--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

Posted by Ben Walding <be...@walding.com>.

Re: Undocumented properties (was: Re: Keeping your test source code ...)

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 22:07, Mark R. Diggory wrote:
> Sorry, I made it sound like I was poking holes in the project in that
> last thread, while in reality, I really appreciate Maven as a tool and
> use it regularly.

Fear not, I have a very, very thick skin :-)

> I want to clarify that I understand that there are project.xml elements
> that can be set ( unitTestSourceDirectory,
> integrationUnitTestSourceDirectory, ...). And, these elements as well as
> all the plug properties are well documented. I didn't want to make it
> seem that there was a "lack of documentation" for Maven, there certainly
> is alot of documentation going around.

The documentation is still lacking and that is for the most part my
doing. I do much of it in bursts when I get the time.

> My primary question is if there are undocumented properties that can be
> set in project.properties or used in maven.xml that are not actually
> defined by the plugins, but actually by the base architecture of Maven
> itself? Like for instance properties used by werkz plugin or maven
> plugin base?

Most of the base properties are in driver/default.properties. Some of
those actually belong in their respective plugins which I have done in
the refactoring I have which will be shoved into CVS soon.

> This actually flows back to an earlier discussion about documentation
> and the werkz plugin.

I post some quicky docs to the list regarding Werkz and Ben challenged
the user to make an xdoc of it. It's in the archive if you want to
document it.

> http://www.mail-archive.com/users@maven.apache.org/msg00751.html
>
> thanks,
> Mark

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Undocumented properties (was: Re: Keeping your test source code ...)

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Hmm, I think we need to remember here that Apache Projects are actually
owned by the community at large. If someone wanted Maven to do something
more, and a consensus of the developer community liked it enough to vote
them in, then Maven would develop in the direction of those capabilities
(look at the long term development of Tomcat and this process can
clearly be seen). Individual opinion of the current developers factors
into its path of growth, but only through the process of lazy consensus.
Unfortunately, the smaller the group is, the less democratic and more
dictatorial this process becomes.

I really just think the real here argument boils down to documentation.
If there are configurable properties in Maven that are currently hidden
from the user because of a lack of documentation, then this argument is
pretty "moot" because the capabilities are already there. You can
designate the location of your test directory, as such, the rule is that
you can, the default is where the majority of the Maven development team
would like to see it (especially when its undocumented).

Jason van Zyl wrote:
> There has never been an attempt to accommodate the myriad ways of doing
> things. Maven is not Ant.

Yes, but Jelly is far more flexible a scripting env. than Ant. This
makes Maven far more flexible, there will always be a myriad ways of
doing things because you've based Maven on a Scripting platform which
promotes "myriadity".

-Mark