Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> on 2014/03/10 23:52:35 UTC

[SCXML] roadmap plan published - question about procedure for milestone tagging

Hi,

I just published a high-level roadmap plan towards SCXML 2.0 [1]

Part of that plan, which consists of working through a set of milestone targets,
is also tagging these milestones "as is", see [2].

As I also described there, these milestone tags will "not represent a formal
release and they are only intended and targeted to be used by the Commons SCXML
developers, not end users."

I would however like to have these milestone tags be deployed and made available
through Maven Central.

My question is: is this OK for the Commons PMC and can I just create and deploy
these tags (using maven release) without need to go through formal voting and
validation?

Again: these do not represent formal releases, nor will I provide download links
or send out announcements, other than a developers heads-up here on dev@.

Thanks, Ate

p.s. Any feedback on the roadmap plan itself of course also is welcome :)

[1] http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-scxml/roadmap.html
[2] http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-scxml/roadmap.html#Milestone_tags

Re: [SCXML] roadmap plan published - question about procedure for milestone tagging

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 11-03-14 10:11, Ate Douma wrote:
> On 11-03-14 01:00, Gary Gregory wrote:
>> IMO, if you make artifacts available through MC, then it is a "release",
>> whatever you label it, alpha, beta, milestone, and so on, which requires a
>> VOTE.
>
> Right. Although in my book at the ASF we only formally VOTE on source releases,
> never on binary artifacts.
>
> Also note that providing (only) such convenience binaries, without need for
> voting, should be allowed, as specified on [1]:

I always forget to provide links :)
Here is the one for [1] above, and specifically concerning the second paragraph:

    http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what

>    "During the process of developing software and preparing a release, various
> packages are made available to the developer community for testing purposes. Do
> not include any links on the project website that might encourage non-developers
> to download and use nightly builds, snapshots, release candidates, or any other
> similar package."
>
> However, also critical is the following sentence:
>
>    "If you find that the general public are downloading such test packages, then
> remove them."
>
> So, it seems like it would be OK if I would provide pre-build milestone
> artifacts on a server managed through Apache so I can easily again remove these,
> while deploying them to Maven Central would make that rather difficult.
>
> The whole point of having these on Maven Central is only as a convenience (being
> a Maven repository) to testers.
> Putting binary artifacts 'standalone' in like my ASF people ~ folder, would
> defeat the purpose.
> Those developers willing to test drive these milestone builds then just as
> easily, even more so, can checkout the tag and do a local maven install.
>
> Anyway, I'll agree deploying to Maven Central is not an option without having a
> formal voted release first.
>
> I'll update the roadmap plan description accordingly.
Which I now have done and published.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 11-03-14 12:24, sebb wrote:
> On 11 March 2014 09:11, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:
>> On 11-03-14 01:00, Gary Gregory wrote:
>>>
>>> IMO, if you make artifacts available through MC, then it is a "release",
>>> whatever you label it, alpha, beta, milestone, and so on, which requires a
>>> VOTE.
>>

>> Right. Although in my book at the ASF we only formally VOTE on source
>> releases, never on binary artifacts.
>>
>> Also note that providing (only) such convenience binaries, without need for
>> voting, should be allowed, as specified on [1]:
>>
>>    "During the process of developing software and preparing a release,
>> various packages are made available to the developer community for testing
>> purposes. Do not include any links on the project website that might
>> encourage non-developers to download and use nightly builds, snapshots,
>> release candidates, or any other similar package."
>>
>> However, also critical is the following sentence:
>>
>>    "If you find that the general public are downloading such test packages,
>> then remove them."
>>
>> So, it seems like it would be OK if I would provide pre-build milestone
>> artifacts on a server managed through Apache so I can easily again remove
>> these, while deploying them to Maven Central would make that rather
>> difficult.
>>
>> The whole point of having these on Maven Central is only as a convenience
>> (being a Maven repository) to testers.
>> Putting binary artifacts 'standalone' in like my ASF people ~ folder, would
>> defeat the purpose.
>> Those developers willing to test drive these milestone builds then just as
>> easily, even more so, can checkout the tag and do a local maven install.
>>
>> Anyway, I'll agree deploying to Maven Central is not an option without
>> having a formal voted release first.
>
> There is an ASF snapshot repo. By default Continuum uploads there if
> the build&test succeeeds.
> And a manual deploy of a snapshot build should also upload the jars to
> that repo.
>
> So you could point developers (only) at the ASF snapshot repo.
>
> But remember that the snapshot repo contents can be updated/dropped at any time.
> Make sure developers are aware that the contents have not been
> formally released.

Sure, I know about the ASF snapshot repo, and we already use that (too).
My intend for the milestone builds is to provide a more stable (even if
temporarily available) artifact to be used for testers.

I already concurred that this cannot be done through Maven Central, which isn't
a big deal really.
The only extra step testers now need to do is check out the milestone tag
themselves and deploy into their own local repository.

Regards, Ate

p.s. I've just created the first milestone 0 tag and will send out a separate
heads-up to this list shortly.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.