Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by bl...@mac.com on 2006/04/25 04:07:29 UTC

A docbase ... inside the host appBase has been specified

I apologize for the rookie mistake, but I can't figure out what I've
done wrong here...

I'm trying to configure a simple servlet, but when I launch tomcat
(via IDEA) I see this message in the tomcat output:

"A docBase /Volumes/misc/apache-tomcat-5.5.17/webapps/subset inside
the host appBase has been specified, and will be ignored."

I haven't been able to figure out the cause of this (or really what
the error means)... perhaps an error in my web.xml (at the end of
this email).

Your help is appreciated.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web
Application 2.3//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd">
<web-app>
	<servlet id="CommandServlet">
		<servlet-name>CommandServlet</servlet-name>
		<servlet-class>com.(obfuscated).subset.controller.CommandServlet</
servlet-class>
		<init-param>
			<param-name>type1</param-name>
			<param-value>getTestCase</param-value>
		</init-param>

		<init-param>
			<param-name>impl1</param-name>
			<param-value>com.
(obfuscated).subset.controller.GetTestCaseCommandProcessor</param-value>
		</init-param>
	</servlet>
	<servlet-mapping>
		<servlet-name>CommandServlet</servlet-name>
		<url-pattern>/CommandServlet</url-pattern>
	</servlet-mapping>
</web-app>

Re: A docbase ... inside the host appBase has been specified

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
I would start by reading the tomcat docs:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html

-- David

--
David Smith
Network Operations Supervisor

Re: A docbase ... inside the host appBase has been specified

Posted by bl...@mac.com.

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
What it means is there is a context xml file (typically in
config/Catalina/localhost, probably subset.xml) that specifies a docBase
attribute.  That attribute is useful if the webapp is not within
tomcat's webapps directory, but ignored as redundant when the webapp is
in the webapps directory.  The message is more or less info level
logging and does not indicate an error.