Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by Borut Bolčina <bo...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/16 12:03:08 UTC

Two DataMaps/DataNodes with the same entity/class name

Hi,

is it somehow possible to have two DomainNodes (2 different independent
databases) with the same entity/class name? Both databases have table
(entity) "user" and I don't want to rename one class to UserSomething.

Regards,
Borut

Re: Two DataMaps/DataNodes with the same entity/class name

Posted by Borut Bolčina <bo...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, it is usage patterns that I miss in the documentation. Luckily for me,
this list is very responsive! Thanks.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Borut Bolčina <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Michael Gentry <mg...@masslight.net>.
Hi Borut, you may want to look at my copying DataMaps example:

http://cwiki.apache.org/CAY/copying-datamaps.html

It is old (still references "objectstyle" instead of "apache", but
might work fine with minor changes (like changing the package name).
(I haven't tried it on Cayenne 2.x+ yet.)

I was able to use the same classes across different
DataDomains/DataNodes even within the same running application using
this technique.  (I had 7 active database connections to development
(x2), testing (x2), acceptance (x2), and production (x1) databases for
a support program to examine application data internals.)  The trick
is to create your DataContext passing it the correct
DataDomain/DataNode to use and then all is well.  Cayenne handled
everything very smoothly after that -- everything went to the proper
database connection since the DataContext (which was created with the
DataDomain/DataNode to use) does all the queries and the commits.

mrg

Posted by "Weddle, Anthony" <An...@bluescopesteel.com>.
How about renaming both classes? If they are different databases, I assume that they are different kinds of users. So XxxxUser and YyyyUser seems appropriate. Just "User" would be a bit ambiguous, I think.

Tony

is it somehow possible to have two DomainNodes (2 different independent
databases) with the same entity/class name? Both databases have table
(entity) "user" and I don't want to rename one class to UserSomething.

Regards,
Borut

NOTICE - This message and any attached files may contain information that is confidential and intended only for use by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this message in error and that any dissemination, copying or use of this message or attachment is strictly forbidden, as is the disclosure of the information therein. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message.