Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Barry Kaplan <gr...@memelet.com> on 2005/11/13 19:58:24 UTC

eclipse plugin woes (wrt direct project referernces)

I'm am constantly battling the eclipse plugin in an attempt to
consistently get direct project references. My latest headache is that
direct references will only be generated if the latest snapshot versions
match in the local deploy repository. But I want to work on the code
/before/ I deploy. I have tests that are failing and cannot even deploy.

What I really want is to tell the eclipse plugin is:

"If the dependent project is in current reactor and its a snapshot
dependency, ALWAYS create a direct project reference. Don't be concerned
with what is in the repository."

Currently what I need to do in order to get the direct project
references is to clear the deployment repository. This repository (i.e.,
our company repository) is currently on my local file-system, but I need
to move it to a shared location. So I can't expect every developer each
time they need to generate eclipse projects to clear the shared repository.

What I plan on doing is to modify the eclipse plugin so that it ignore
the snapshot time-stamp if told. Is there any chance that this will get
accepted by the maven team? Will I need to maintain a branch of the
eclipse plugin for all time? Or is there a better way? Either to do what
I want, or should I want something else?

--
barry kaplan
groups1@memelet.com

Re: eclipse plugin woes (wrt direct project referernces)

Posted by Barry Kaplan <gr...@memelet.com>.
Alexandre Poitras wrote:
> The plugin generates direct references between modules sharing the
> same parent pom. So, you should try to make a multi-modules project.
> Search for the mail "Guide to using Eclipse with Maven 2.x", it has
> helped me a lot and has some informations about this situation.
> Hope this help!

I've been all thru this, and have read every little snippet of maven2
docs. I am indeed generating the eclipse projects as part of a
multi-build, and they do indeed share a common parent pom. But there are
explicit checks for version numbers even this case. Thus if all the
projects have not been deployed prior to generating the eclipse projects
the direct references will not be created.

-bk

Re: eclipse plugin woes (wrt direct project referernces)

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.

On 11/13/05, Barry Kaplan <gr...@memelet.com> wrote:
> I'm am constantly battling the eclipse plugin in an attempt to
> consistently get direct project references. My latest headache is that
> direct references will only be generated if the latest snapshot versions
> match in the local deploy repository. But I want to work on the code
> /before/ I deploy. I have tests that are failing and cannot even deploy.
>
> What I really want is to tell the eclipse plugin is:
>
> "If the dependent project is in current reactor and its a snapshot
> dependency, ALWAYS create a direct project reference. Don't be concerned
> with what is in the repository."
>
> Currently what I need to do in order to get the direct project
> references is to clear the deployment repository. This repository (i.e.,
> our company repository) is currently on my local file-system, but I need
> to move it to a shared location. So I can't expect every developer each
> time they need to generate eclipse projects to clear the shared repository.
>
> What I plan on doing is to modify the eclipse plugin so that it ignore
> the snapshot time-stamp if told. Is there any chance that this will get
> accepted by the maven team? Will I need to maintain a branch of the
> eclipse plugin for all time? Or is there a better way? Either to do what
> I want, or should I want something else?
>
> --
> barry kaplan
> groups1@memelet.com

Alexandre Poitras