Posted to user@phoenix.apache.org by j pimmel <fr...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/26 17:37:36 UTC

Hbase on EMR for phoenix

Hi all

I'm just evaluating using HBase with phoenix on EMR and see that the most
recent supported version is on EMR 3.11.0 (compared to EMR latest 4.1.0)
which bundles HBase 0.94.18.

Given that the latest HBase version is at 1.13 I'm wondering what key
phoenix features would end up being unsupported when trying to use the
older version EMR HBase version (if it works at all).

Thanks

Re: Hbase on EMR for phoenix

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Bigtop packages HBase 0.98 and is something Phoenix still supports. The
latest HBase release is 1.1. I think Bigtop will be moving up to HBase 1.1
soon. Phoenix supports that version as well.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 4:48 PM, j pimmel <fr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the update James.
>
> Is the latest HBase getting integrated into BigTop - perhaps I'm looking
> in the wrong place, but this is what I found and it's hard to tell if it's
> the latest.
>

> https://github.com/apache/bigtop/tree/master/bigtop-packages/src/common/hbase
>
> It seems like the latest EMR version uses BigTop and though it's not clear
> what they use from it and whether HBase will start re-appearing in current
> EMR releases, it seems like standards are getting baked in and it would
> likely ease adoption?
>

> http://docs.aws.amazon.com/ElasticMapReduce/latest/ReleaseGuide/emr-release-components.html
>
> Thanks

> On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 at 14:39 James Taylor <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> The problem is that EMR hasn't updating their HBase version past 0.94 in
>> the last two years. Phoenix stopped doing releases supporting 0.94 a year
>> ago and HBase has moved well past 0.94 as well. Phoenix will run just fine
>> on EMR if they update their HBase version. My two cents: I'd recommend
>> continuing to let the folks over at EMR know that you'd like to see this
>> happen. We don't have any control over that, though.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 7:04 AM, James Heather <james.heather@mendeley.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I asked about Phoenix on EMR, and also received no response.
>>>
>>> It would be nice to have a comment on this from someone in the know, if
>>> only to confirm that Phoenix and EMR are no longer friends.
>>>
>>> James

Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)