Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Kirk Lund <kl...@pivotal.io> on 2016/11/28 23:15:17 UTC

Global scope regions

Looks like global regions cannot be created using GFSH. We should either
add support for global scope to GFSH or remove global scope (and the
RegionLock APIs).

Does anyone know if global scope is officially deprecated? Or why it's not
supported by GFSH?

-Kirk

Re: Global scope regions

Posted by Kirk Lund <kl...@pivotal.io>.
We could allow the User to specify either a --type or a combination of
--data-policy and --scope but not all three.

Apparently the introduction of RegionShortcut (and its use for --type) was
supposed to simplify things. AttributesFactory was deprecated in favor of
using shortcuts. The shortcuts combine Scope, DataPolicy, InterestPolicy,
InterestResultPolicy, EvictionAttributes/Algorithm,
ExpirationAttributes/Action, etc. Specifying all of the legal combinations
with enum Shortcuts was the direction taken to eliminate incompatible
combinations.

I'm not sure adding --data-policy and --scope would be enough. I think we'd
have to add the others as well to give full flexibility to justify having
them. It's probably simpler at this point to introduce shortcuts for global
and its few variations. Adding anything else probably warrants further
discussion.

At a minimum, I gather that global regions are not deprecated (just not
encouraged due to performance compared with other scopes). I'll file a bug
against gfsh because we can't create a global region.

-Kirk

Re: Global scope regions

Posted by Udo Kohlmeyer <uk...@pivotal.io>.

Re: Global scope regions