Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Soren Hilmer <so...@tietoenator.com> on 2004/02/12 12:40:28 UTC

Re: S/MIME (was [PROPOSAL] Release Plan)

> >   Vincenzo:         S/MIME code?
>
> This mailet (server side signing) is properly working, and just needs to be
> javadoc enhanced and some ho-to documentation. But as I found a problem
> with Outlook Express
<snip>
> because it considers as a tampering the fact of
> having the signature not coming from the sender,

<snip>
Which it actually should according to the S/MIME standard (RFC-2632):

   Sending agents SHOULD make the address in the From or Sender header
   in a mail message match an Internet mail address in the signer's
   certificate. Receiving agents MUST check that the address in the From
   or Sender header of a mail message matches an Internet mail address
   in the signer's certificate, if mail addresses are present in the
   certificate. A receiving agent SHOULD provide some explicit alternate
   processing of the message if this comparison fails, which may be to
   display a message that shows the recipient the addresses in the
   certificate or other certificate details.

--Søren

--
Søren Hilmer, M.Sc.
R&D manager		Phone:	+45 70 27 64 00

Re: S/MIME (was [PROPOSAL] Release Plan)

Posted by Soren Hilmer <so...@tietoenator.com>.
Ahh, that makes sense then, ofcourse you could change the From header.
Now, a client replying to the mail will probably do it to the trusted-server
(unless you modify the reply-to header) but that is really often what you
want, because otherwise the client cannot find the right certificate and thus
not make an encrypted reply.

Now the final issue is how to forward the mail to the right recipient from the
server, which is a bit of a challenge ;-)

--Søren

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.