Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> on 2007/08/25 18:51:47 UTC

s1: Proposal for plugins

For Struts 1.4, I'd like to propose a plug-ins submodule of the project.
In it would include:

* struts-tiles1-plugin
* struts-tiles2-plugin
* struts-commons-validator-plugin
* struts-springframework-plugin

With regards to the Validator, I definitely want to keep the
Validator***Forms part of the core (since it doesn't rely on Commons
Validator), but pull out the actual plug-in support: ValidatorPlugin,
the lexer, etc.

PS: Would it be beneficial to rename the artifacts not just as struts-*
but as struts1-* ?

Paul

Re: s1: Proposal for plugins

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Does that mean "struts-tiles1-plugin" is the same as the current
> struts-tiles module?

Yes

Another thing I've wondered... now that we have
> ServletContextListener, do we really need "Struts Plugin" at all?

I do not think that a ServletContextListener will be possible. I scheduled
it for 1.4, but I cannot find a way to undo the Servlet API dependenceis
from Struts. For instance, every ActionForm gets its servlet reference set.

As for plug-ins, they are still necessary if a developer wants to do some
pre or post processing of configuration.

Paul

Re: s1: Proposal for plugins

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 8/25/07, Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 8/25/07, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What do you mean by "plugin-in"?  Is it something different from the
> > configuration plugins that Struts 1 has?
> >
> > http://struts.apache.org/1.3.5/struts-core/apidocs/org/apache/struts/action/PlugIn.html
>

> I went back and checked my email, but could not find a reference to
> plugin-in. I may have goofed and created a typo otherwise. I am talking
> about what you linked to.

I wasn't picking on spelling, just trying to make sure this was the
same concept.

--
Wendy

Re: s1: Proposal for plugins

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

> What do you mean by "plugin-in"?  Is it something different from the
> configuration plugins that Struts 1 has?
>
> http://struts.apache.org/1.3.5/struts-core/apidocs/org/apache/struts/action/PlugIn.html

I went back and checked my email, but could not find a reference to
plugin-in. I may have goofed and created a typo otherwise. I am talking
about what you linked to.

> PS: Would it be beneficial to rename the artifacts not just as struts-*
> > but as struts1-* ?

The benefit would be updated names to reflect the evolution of our
community. S2 could have just jumped to 2.0.0, but they also put "2" as part
of the artifact name. I understand why that is -- to signal a very different
break not just in versions but architecture. For me, in my opinion, adding a
1 would help continue this pattern as well. I would be expecting a struts3-*
one day too.

Paul

Re: s1: Proposal for plugins

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 8/25/07, Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> wrote:

> For Struts 1.4, I'd like to propose a plug-ins submodule of the project.
> In it would include:
>
> * struts-tiles1-plugin
> * struts-tiles2-plugin
> * struts-commons-validator-plugin
> * struts-springframework-plugin
>
> With regards to the Validator, I definitely want to keep the
> Validator***Forms part of the core (since it doesn't rely on Commons
> Validator), but pull out the actual plug-in support: ValidatorPlugin,
> the lexer, etc.

What do you mean by "plugin-in"?  Is it something different from the
configuration plugins that Struts 1 has?
http://struts.apache.org/1.3.5/struts-core/apidocs/org/apache/struts/action/PlugIn.html

> PS: Would it be beneficial to rename the artifacts not just as struts-*
> but as struts1-* ?

For what reason?  The Maven repo is fairly well organized with struts*
and struts2* artifacts:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/struts/

In general I'm not in favor of embedding the version number in the
artifactId.  We did it for Struts 2 for a reason-- avoiding duplicate
artifactIds for Maven.

--
Wendy