Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org> on 2020/02/19 15:46:20 UTC

[DISCUSS] Extend (or maintain) "shell" script support for Windows

Hi,

the background is this series of Jira Issues and PRs around extending
the .bat scripts for windows:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-5333.

I would like to resolve this, by either closing the Jira Issues as
"Won't Do" or finally merging these PRs. The questions I have are:

  - Should we add more full-featured (complicated?) windows scripts that
are essentially re-implementations of our existing "unix" scripts?
  - Would windows users use these or would they, by now, use the linux
subsystem for windows or cygwin?
  - Should we even remove the existing .bat scripts that we have?

Maintaining the windows scripts is hard because we only have one (I
think, Chesnay) developer on windows and no CI for windows.

What do you think?

Best,
Aljoscha

Re: [DISCUSS] Extend (or maintain) "shell" script support for Windows

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Thank you for your opinions. I filed a ticket for this:

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
+1 for removing them.

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.
+1 on removing them.

Posted by Xintong Song <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Anderson <da...@ververica.com>.
We stopped using these windows scripts in our training sessions a couple of
years ago, and I can't remember seeing anyone use them at all since then.
While our community includes many developers using Windows for development,
in my experience pretty much everyone moves to some sort of linux-based
environment once they are done testing in the IDE, be that via WSL, Docker,
a local VM, or a staging server.

David

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.